Panther & Classic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Pardon mon ignorance, but is Classic part of Panther, or was it put only into Tiger? I have a USB Zip drive that I wish to use with my G3 iMac/Panther, but which requires Classic to operate. The Zip works fine with my eMac/Tiger because of course Classic is part of that OS.

I have just been through the lengthy process of formatting the iMac's hard drive and loading applications etc, so I don't wish to do it again >BUT< must I reformat the HD into two partitions and install OS 9.2.2 on one of them? Do I need to Archive & Install? :Confused: Sage advice please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
:delete please:

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have a USB Zip drive that I wish to use with my G3 iMac/Panther, but which requires Classic to operate.
I have just been through the lengthy process of formatting the iMac's hard drive and loading applications ... Do I need to Archive & Install?

Reviving this thread, this is getting so complicated ...

I finally got a round tuit and tried to install Classic on to the G3 iMac/Panther. I have an OS 9.2.1 retail install disk. Not wishing to mess with the 10.3.9 that is already in place on the iMac HD, I simply dragged the System Folder from the OS 9 CD on to the Mac HD.

That worked okay and the System Folder is installed. However Classic will not open. It stalls at the opening window, and tells me the Quicktime version needs to be 6.0.3 or later (v 7.0 is already on the HD). I click Continue. An old style OS 9 dialogue window tells me that Classic can only run from the original media, not from being copied to another volume.

Okay, I want to remove the System Folder from the iMac HD. I cannot do so because parts of it are now embedded in System of OS X.

I fancy that a fresh install of OS Panther will be required. How do I Archive & Install from the Panther disks? I have not noticed that option in the Installer.
Further, will a fresh A & I of Panther also install Classic? It didn't do so when I installed Panther initially.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mate Zip Drives do not require drivers in Panther and Tiger ~ the OS comes with these installed. Things are getting very complicated aren't they? Perhaps you will have to reformat, partition, install OS 9.2.1 on say a 15GB partition and Panther on the balance.

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I think I've gorn and dunnit. I ...
1. copied the OS 9 Sysƒ from the 40 Gb OS 9 HD of my b/w G3 to an old BigFoot 4 Gb bare external 5.25" drive via a USB-IDE adaptor cable
2. transferred the Sysƒ from BF to the iMac HD.
It replaced the useless System Folder, and after a reboot, I installed the Iomega software. Sure 'nuff, the Zip drive is recognised.

An oddity though - one of the Zip disks has a stack of great OS 9 icons I wish to use, but the disk will not mount to the iMac. It will mount to the b/w G3, so I transferred the icons via the BF drive - a convoluted process. I think the impasse is because I have a separate dedicated OS 9 HD in the b/w G3, but not of course in the iMac (see specs).

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mate Zip Drives do not require drivers in Panther and Tiger ~ the OS comes with these installed.

Whoops, missed you by 2 minutes. The problem about the Zip drive was getting the Iomega software to work with it in OS X. I think there probably was a misunderstanding on my part about OS X and Zip drives, but I attribute that in part to the bit about the Iomega s/ware install CD. Whatever, the Zip works now, and I'm glad the whole darned episode is over. Thanks for your help.

PS. there was a very helpful series of posts on another forum about getting the Classic Sysƒ installed properly alongside Panther. I printed all 6 pages of the info for future reference should anyone else try to do same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.