Area where screen meets keyboard VERY HOT

Reaction score
The area where the screen hinges with the rest of the computer is EXTREMELY hot. This has only been happening recently, and I don't know why. It hasn't shut off on its own yet or anything, but the light on the power cord that usually turns green when it's done charging ALWAYS stays red. The battery is cool to the touch. The exhaust ports don't even seem that hot, its' really just the bottom of the computer right at that "hinge" and that area when the screen is open. It sometimes gets so hot I can't leave my fingers there for more than a couple seconds. I have the adobe suite running and im doing some minor flash, but I don't know why that would cause all this. When I had parallels running and working on things, the fan would turn on, but never this hot. I used a blower to try and clean up a little bit, but to no result. I also have the laptop propped up, but the fans refuse to turn on. It really seems like this is DEFINITELY hot enough to require the fans but.......

My next step is to backup all my files onto an external hard drive and take the **** notebook apart. Has anyone else had this problem, or have any suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
Mine is the same way, the fans like to stay at about 2krpm even with the temperature reading at around 75C

I installed a program called smcfancontroll.

smcFanControl

When I'm gaming I'll usually bump up the speed to 6k that way it keeps hte laptop between 45-55C

I've asked the people around here about the high operating temperature and most of them say its fine and not really out of the norm.

OP
S
Reaction score
I just tried downloading that software, and it said im using an unsupported machine. I would LOVE for this to work! I'm using a macbook pro 17"----and it def says on the website that it is supported! Did you run into anything like this?

OP
S
Reaction score
ok well it keeps saying its unsupported, but i noticed some data on the topbar of my screen, and there is the fan control. It says i'm sunning from 59-62C at 1995-2002 rpm, and when i try to turn the fans up, nothing happens. So either the program isn't working, orrrrrr my fans are garbage. Did yours work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 2.4GHz Core2Duo MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM
I got that message but i had inadvertantly downloaded an earlier version. I downloaded Version 2 and it works fine on my Unibody MBP.

OP
S
Reaction score
that worked out really well once i reinstalled it and restarted my computer. the fans are working and the computer is much cooler now! thanks so much for your guys' help!

Reaction score
please help. grrrr!

Mine is the same way, the fans like to stay at about 2krpm even with the temperature reading at around 75C

I installed a program called smcfancontroll.

smcFanControl

When I'm gaming I'll usually bump up the speed to 6k that way it keeps hte laptop between 45-55C

I've asked the people around here about the high operating temperature and most of them say its fine and not really out of the norm.

I downloaded smcfancontrol but whn i go to save my settings it asks for my ps of an acct w/admin privileges. well i am the only user nd i have the admin privileges. I canged my name/pw to try and see if that worked, it didnt. i went into key chain but i dont see anything that i need to change. how do i get past this point? please help!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.