iMac display problems

Reaction score
I own a 20 inch, white, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. Lately I have been noticing that sudden on screen movements such as activating the dashboard and using expose have caused my display to power down and not turn back on, or freeze the entire computer. I also noticed small distortions on screen ocasionally and pixel thin lines of discoloration on the desktop backgrounds. I thought this was a hardware problem so I did a restore to factory OS, but after using the clean system the same problems happened. I now think this may be a hardware problem but I have no idea what. I ran apple hardware test and it came back clean. Is there any software I can use to fix this, or do I have to send it in for repair?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like the graphics card may be at fault. Might be a good idea to give Apple support a call and schedule a time where you can take it on in to have the card replaced if need be. Assuming of course your machine is still under warranty.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.