Splitting a file in two

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I have a very large file that I need to get onto a disk - it's bigger than 8.5gb so it won't fit on a dual layer DVD. Now, I've downloaded files before that have been split up into separate .rar or .zip files. They are usually named like so:
filename.rar1
filename.rar2
When you un-rar or un-zip the first one, it automatically unzips the second, assuming they are both contained in the same folder. I'd like to know how to do this so I can carry this file around on a few DVDs if need be, and then just copy each to the computer's desktop when it needs using.

I'd prefer to use .zip over .rar since it avoids having to use programs other than the default OS X unarchiver.

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I've answered my own question. I'm sure someone already knew it, I think in the back of my brain I did from years ago... Split and Concat - cuts files into specified sizes. Perfect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.