G3 "Lombard" dead HHD?

Reaction score
Greetings,
I believe my beloved G3 "Lombard" Powerbook my have given up the ghost. When I turn her on all I get is small folder with a flashing question mark and the old "two face" Apple icon. I have OS 9.2 and Tiger installed (thanks to Xpostfacto4) on a 20gb HDD.

I'd like to keep her around for nostalgic reasons and I have a spare 10gb HDD lying around. Does this sound like a HDD failure?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it does appear the HDD may have failed. You have a spare 10 GB drive and want to swap it out? They make key chain flash drives that are larger than 10 GB. :Smirk:

Regards.

OP
JaeP
Reaction score
Yes, it does appear the HDD may have failed. You have a spare 10 GB drive and want to swap it out? They make key chain flash drives that are larger than 10 GB. :Smirk:

Regards.

That's true. What's the largest HDD can my "Lombard" support? I was thinking of slapping in the spare 10gb drive just to see if that was the problem. She's too slow for doing anything worth while.

She's only good for surfin' the web, checking e-mail and listening to tunes. Still, I have a hard time letting her go if I can help it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.