Reassign "CLEAR" key on numeric keypad .. Help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 MHz
Looking for some help on how to reassign a key on the standard iMac Keyboard. I need to reassign the "clear" key on the numeric keypad, to function like the "tab" key on far left side of keyboard.

When working in a spreadsheet, or other numeric data input software, I enter a number value into the cell, and would like the the clear key when depressed, (or even a function key F16 ... F19), to move across to the cell on the right.

The data entry goes from left to right.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Dave

My eyes are just loving the big screen on the iMac 24". Apple ROCKS !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There used to be a couple keyboard remapping apps out there that probably cold have done the job, but it seems development has ceased on those and don't work in Leopard.

Your best bet is to use a keyboard macro application. I've been re-assessing a couple of those myself the past few days, and tried using Keyboard Maestro by setting CLEAR as the hot key and instructing KM to simulate the keypress TAB when CLEAR is pressed. Works PERFEÇTLY!

If you saw the need, you could set up more complicated keystroke combos, limit the macro to specific app(s), and much more. It also runs invisibly in the background, so once you've set up the macro, you can forget about it.

OP
Old King Coal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 MHz
Hey lifeabeach,
Thanks for your info, link and ideas on the key reassignment.

I never gave much thought, until now about taking the TAB key for granted on the PC keypad for data entry. Keyboard Maestro may be worth a look, but it also may border on the price of a separate keypad with a tab key (if such even exists).

Kind regards ... OKC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey lifeabeach,
Thanks for your info, link and ideas on the key reassignment.

I never gave much thought, until now about taking the TAB key for granted on the PC keypad for data entry. Keyboard Maestro may be worth a look, but it also may border on the price of a separate keypad with a tab key (if such even exists).

Kind regards ... OKC

Now that you mention it, Matias makes replacement keyboards for Macs that have that TAB key in place of the CLEAR key. They have several models... here's one optimized for accounting uses:
http://matias.ca/optimizer/index.php

OP
Old King Coal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 MHz
When my Sony Vaio keyboard gave up the ghost on my PC, I replaced it with a Matias tactilepro. This Matias keyboard has the "tab" key in place of the "clear" key on the numeric keypad.

Two thoughts now came to mind:
1) Swap out the Matias keyboard for the iMac keyboard, and see if they are compatible on opposite systems. I would need to put an USB extension on the Mac KB.

2) Place my wireless Mac keyboard next to the full sized Mac keyboard on the right side. The profiles line up perfectly. This makes the "tab" key on the wireless KB, positioned next to the numeric keypad. Now I can input numbers on the numeric keypad, .... and advance to the next cell with the wireless KB "tab" key. WOW ... it works like a charm. I'm a happy camper.
Recycle / reuse ... at its best.

OKC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.