Problem with massive iTunes library...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.53ghz, 4gb RAM, 320gb HD, 512mb vid card.
Ok, so here's the problem...I have ~200gb of music/music videos/etc I want to put into iTunes. I bought the 320gb HD option so that I wouldn't have to lug around my 500gb external all the time just for music. Problem is, if I copy all the stuff from the HD onto the computer and then try to add it to the iTunes library, it starts creating copies of everything into the iTunes folder and then runs out of HD space. If I add it to the library from the external, then I can't play it unless I have the external. Is there a way to keep iTunes from freaking copying everything? I know you can change the source path ie where the file is located, but again - if I try and copy everything to the computer, then add it from either the computer OR the external and then change the source path to the computer - bam, runs out of space. Is this maybe just because it has to convert some of the songs from WMV format? Or just an iTunes redundancy issue?

Reaction score
Should be a minor problem: Go into iTunes Preferences -> Advanced and uncheck "Keep iTunes Music folder organized". With that option checked iTunes creates it's own structure and puts it onto the primary harddisk. Unchecked will just leave the files wherever they are...

Cheers!

Reaction score
you could also just attach your external hard drive, then go into itunes and go file>add to library and select the folder on your external hard drive where your music appears. also you have to have your itunes music folder set somewhere on your local hard drive as well as having the "keep itunes music folder organized" option checked. the process will take a very long time since it will be copying 200gb from the external source but if you leave it over night it should be fine.

the end result will be a single copy of your entire collection on your local disk (which is nicely organized by itunes) and one on your external. if you don't want the backup on the external just erase it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.