Scanner for Mac

Reaction score
I am looking for a nice scanner for my Mac. I have a lot of old photos I would like to preserve digitally. I can spend up to $500. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
I can't recommend a specific scanner since mine is more than 6 years old, but I'd recommend Canon. I have a Canoscan that still works great after all these years.

Low-end Canon Photo Scanners: Photo Scanners - Canon USA Consumer Products

If you want to see how good low-end Canon scanners are, take a look at my website:

World Travels Welcome Page

All of the photos were taken with a Fuji camera, scanned into my old PPC Mini with my ancient Canoscan and tweaked with iPhoto. I'm not a great photographer and my camera is a low-end Fuji, so much of the credit for the quality of the photos goes to the Canoscan.

Claire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I second the Canon scanners. Have completed scanning about 35 gigs of old family photos using an LiDE 60 and the results are really good (considering the condition of the originals, of course). Has a great multi-scan feature where you can lay multiple photos on the platen and it will scan each into an individual file. Real time-saver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I second the Canon scanners. Have completed scanning about 35 gigs of old family photos using an LiDE 60 and the results are really good (considering the condition of the originals, of course). Has a great multi-scan feature where you can lay multiple photos on the platen and it will scan each into an individual file. Real time-saver.

Aw, man my LiDE 20 doesn't do that. I can put multiple photos on the platen of course but I have to chop them up in Photoshop. Oh well, at least it works with my Macbook, and all my archival photo scanning has been long since completed with the little workhorse. Also Leopard seems to like to complain about it in the log files when it's plugged in for some reason.

Still a great (if older) scanner. Canon scanners good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Have you downloaded the latest CanoScan Toolbox for your scanner? That is where the option for multi-scan resides. It worked fine for my LiDE 25 (before I got this later scanner).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.