Any automator users out there?

Reaction score
How hard is it to setup automator to run a pre-made action in Photoshop when a specifically named file is placed in a specific folder on a server? At work, whenever the first page of our newspaper is created (always called 1a.pdf) I run it through photoshop to resize and move it for something else on the web.

In case I'm not here when it is made, it would be nice if my iMac would do that for me, and then ftp it to the web server. Any takers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD
It could work, but I think to completely automate it you will need more than automator, probably a combination of things, especially to automate the running of an action in Photoshop.

I definitely think it's possible with AppleScript.

OP
_Osiris_
Reaction score
I definitely think it's possible with AppleScript.

That's a good idea I hadn't thought of. I've never had any luck figuring out automator, but I use AppleScript to connect to all of my servers when I login. I'll have to try that out... that's quite a bit of scripting, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have some time, I found an Automator action for resizing in Photoshop. I can either try it for you, or send you the actions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is something that could work. Let me know because you need to download some custom actions.
3104176766_deff09435d.jpg

OP
_Osiris_
Reaction score
@Interstellar Sure man, send me what you have and I'll give it a shot at work tomorrow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To automate the launching of your script / automator app, you might want to look at folder actions.

They basically allow you to set "triggers" on a folder that can be configured to do something when certain changes are made to a folder.

OP
_Osiris_
Reaction score
@Aptmunich I've seen those, and I think we use some on our servers for other applications. That would be easier than writing a script. Should be anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.