4G of ram + Penryn iMac = FAST!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Just maxed out my ram due to DDR2 dropping like a stone. I got G.Skill brand ram that was verified to work in the Penny iMacs. The computer booted in 12 seconds flat after the install. I opened Logic Express, Aperture, iTunes, and Entourage and still had head room in the ram. Best part, due to Dell Laptops having a "I don't care what speed ram I have in me" approach, my girlfriends Dell Celeron laptop just got upgraded from 1.5G unmatched pair to 2G which gave it a nice boost too.

PS the ram was 44.99 at newegg.com!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 2.8 with a biggest screen possible (at this point)
I read somewhere that 6G of ram can work. Was on another forum I believe. One guy tried it out and it worked. Others went and tried after he posted screen shots from the System Profile. I still have 2 G so am going over to newegg to check out the prices now that you said you got such a good deal.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Yeah I've heard that it works on iMacs and MacBook Pros, but the only applications that can use it without issues are virtual machines. If a regular program tries to access that memory you get weird threading issues and crashes. At least they built it in the hardware to support it for us brave enough to try Snow Leopard when it hits.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.