Photo Viewing software [iphoto?]

Reaction score
I like to store all my photographs on my computer in a folder hierarchy structure. I then use adobe lightroom to open, view, edit and import all my photo's to and from this hierarchy of photographs.

The problem I have is that sometimes I just want to simply view my photographs or organize them with out having to load up the fully blown adobe lightroom application.

Is there anyway to make iphoto use a folder hierarchy instead of its library to do the operations I am after? I like iphoto but I don't like locking my photo's into its library. (i use cross platforms). Picasa would be great but there is no osx version.

Is there any good photo viewers for osx that would alternatively do the job?

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Apple also produces a program called Aperture. Not sure if this is what your asking for but you can take a look. There is also a free trial available.

Apple - Aperture

OP
S
Reaction score
Aperture is almost exactly the same type of application as adobe lightroom, but it also uses library files not file hierarchy structures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Aperture is almost exactly the same type of application as adobe lightroom, but it also uses library files not file hierarchy structures.

Ah I see. I'm not very familiar with photo software. Hope someone else will be able to help you then. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
You can use lightroom to edit your photos from within iPhoto by going into preferences in iPhoto and setting lightroom (or any other editor) to be your external editor. Then, when you click on a photo in iPhoto to edit, lightroom will open, you can edit, and when you save your work, the photo will be saved right back where it should be. Makes everything so easy!

iPhoto is really great for just what you want to do. Orgainzing is easy using folders and albums, and even smart albums. Just work with it a while and see how easy it makes everything. There is no need to manually organize your photos like one does in Windows. This is what iPhoto is for -- it is an organizing and viewing application.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.