Any Warcraft Players?

Reaction score
I know that I need to contact WoW support on this issue but I thought maybe I would find some advice here.

I have a situation with the game where it freezes the computer from time to time. It is usually no more than 5 seconds. I can move the mouse and hear the sound during this time but I can not do anything. Even in windowed mode if I have firefox up on my secondary screen for example. It freezes the entire system.

I have no encountered this issue outside of the game.

Any thoughts on what to check or more importantly does anyone know of any utilities that might show me packet loss or other pertinent information?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What would help is if you would tell us some information about which Mac (specs) you're running WarCraft on. Are you running WoW from Boot Camp or
a VM? (Fusion, Parallels)

Then maybe we could offer some kind of advice.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
What would help is if you would tell us some information about which Mac (specs) you're running WarCraft on. Are you running WoW from Boot Camp or
a VM? (Fusion, Parallels)

Then maybe we could offer some kind of advice.

Regards.

Oh, sure, sorry about that.

I have a Macbook Pro (1 generation back, purchased in May 2008). 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM. Video is the 256 MB Geforce 8600 GT Mobile edition. There is plenty of space on the 200 GB hard drive.

List of things that I tried.

-I run Time Machine to an ESATA hard drive. I thought that might be an issue so I unplugged the device and turned the Time Machine service off for a few days. This did not seem to change my issue.

-Switched to an ethernet cable. I used wireless (802.11g) for the first 6 months or so. This did bring my frames per second up in the game but the freezing issue still happens and I don't believe there is a decrease in the frequency in which it happens.

-Followed instructions in the WoW forums for uninstalling and reinstalling the game. The instructions provided detail on how to verify that the addons were removed and that the user permissions would be reset upon reinstall. At that point I was having a lockup issue that would boot me out of the game and it looked like a folder permissions issue according to the wow forums. The issue went away for a month or so but came back. I have had the game freeze once to the point where it would boot me out of the game (and keep booting me immediately upon login for a period of time) since the reinstall but usually it just freezes for a few moments when it happens.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. If there is anything that you can think of please let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.