Deleting Programs // Trash Bin

Reaction score
If I deleted a program/download by moving it into the Trash Bin, it that all it takes to completely remove it from my Macbook?

Been running slow and am concerned the programs i've deleted still exist, does the Trash work just like Add/Remove Programs on Windows?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Normally, dragging a program's icon to the trash does not remove all its supporting files. Simple applications when dragged to the trash may leave behind a preference file (.plist) which are usually small and should not cause any resource loss.

However, larger and more complex applications such as MS Office have buried folders and many files scattered throughout. Usually, but not always, those applications come with an uninstaller which should be used.

If your machine's running slow it could be due to many things: Lack of disk space, too many applications running at startup, invalid permissions, not enough memory, and so forth.

Download the free OnyX app and run it to do a general cleanup, and repair permissions.

Download OnyX for Mac - OS X maintenance & optimization tool. MacUpdate Mac Optimizers Software Downloads

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.