Is this an OSX problem?

Reaction score
I have a G4 Cube running OS 10.3.9.

PROBLEM: My keyboard's "delete/backspace" button deletes to the right.

I know there are 2 "delete" buttons (been using Macs for years), but this is the delete button that should backspace (it's under the F13 key). It deletes RIGHT in all my software applications, browsers, everything. I plugged the keyboard into another G4 with OS9 and it deletes/backspaces LEFT as it should... so it's something in the OS 10.3.9 causing this.

My "delete right" button (under the HELP key) deletes right, as it should.

I've gone to the Terminal Menu and checked out "keyboard" but the only delete button showing there is the "delete right" button (under the HELP key).

Anyone know how to correct this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
is there anything under the keyboard preferences, shortcuts

There might also be a restore defaults button

otherwise I would recommend installing the combo update to refresh your system

Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, but no luck...

I downloaded the Combined Update. Still deletes to the right.

I don't know of a "restore defaults button"... do you know?

I appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks.

is there anything under the keyboard preferences, shortcuts

There might also be a restore defaults button

otherwise I would recommend installing the combo update to refresh your system

Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I don't know of a "restore defaults button"... do you know?

SysPrefs < Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts > Restore Defaults.

Now here's an odd thing ... you say the Delete button is under F13. I've just replicated your experience, and that is the way Delete (as opposed to Backspace) is supposed to work. Try this:
1. Use a reply to this post (or open TextEdit) and type the first ten letters of the alphabet,
2. Place the cursor in the middle of those letters and press Delete (Del) repeatedly. You'll see that it removes letters immediately to its RIGHT.

Now repeat the exercise, but use the Backspace (I use a PC keyboard), or Delete (Apple) key under F11-F12. You should see the letters disappear to the LEFT.

So, Delete (Apple) goes left, Del (Apple) goes right. You'll note that the Del key (Apple) uses the ⌦ symbol, indicating movement to the right.

PS. I remember now some students once asking me why the Del key didn't work. That was because they had the cursor placed at the RH end of the text they wished to modify. Besides, deleting to the right is not the usual method.

OP
M
Reaction score
Dear hughvane:
Are you looking at a MAC keyboard or a PC? On the MAC extended keyboard, the "delete" key is directly beneath the F13 key. It is supposed to backspace and "delete left"... IT DOESN'T. It deletes RIGHT. The OTHER "delete" key beneath the help key "deletes right" as it's supposed to. Both keys delete RIGHT. And that ain't right.

You must be getting your PC mixed up with your MAC.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Dear hughvane: Are you looking at a MAC keyboard or a PC?

Good point, and the answer is "both". I use a PC k/b with this eMac, and an Apple k/b (extended, black keys) with my iMac.

1. PC k/b - Backspace is directly beneath the F11 and F12 keys. Delete (full word, capital 'D') is beneath the Print Screen and Insert keys. Backspace deletes to the Left (there is an arrow on the key just to advise me). :) That is what I said in my earlier post.
2. Apple k/b - delete (small 'd') is directly beneath F11 and F12. It deletes to the left of the cursor (which is also what I said earlier). del ⌦ (small 'd') is beneath the F13 and Help keys. It deletes to the Right of the cursor, which is what I said. [If we want to be picky, the cursor 'draws in' the letters to its right and deletes them, the cursor itself appears to stand still.]

Now I've just tested everything I've typed above with both keyboards, and it is so.

Update: I'm re-reading your last post. You say ... <quote>"the "delete" key is directly beneath the F13 key. It is supposed to backspace and "delete left"... IT DOESN'T. It deletes RIGHT." <end quote>
Yes - that is correct. Keyboard design may have changed, and the Apple k/b I've referred to is probably 7 years old now (unsure). Nevertheless, let's be absolutely clear here, if we're discussing the del ⌦ key, ie. the one beneath F13 on an extended k/b, then it takes out characters to its right. No argument there, and it is what I said in Post #4.

OP
M
Reaction score
Dear hughvane:

You are correct, your keyboard deletes correctly. Mine doesn't. BOTH delete keys delete to the right... the one under F13 is supposed to delete LEFT... it doesn't. That is my problem. What don't you understand?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
use the option or command with backspace to go the other direction

OP
M
Reaction score
Dear jimd144...

Yes, I know I can do that but that doesn't solve my problem. I'm used to backspacing "left" at work all day, then when I get on my home computer it deletes "right" which is very frustrating. Then I catch myself using "option/command" at work... see the problem here?

I'd like to know how to fix the problem on my home computer.

Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Dear hughvane...

You must have the Mac Pro Keyboard model M7803 for your delete key to be under the F11/F12 keys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.