streamed video makes my computer crash (flash video excluded)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anytime I watch the free South Park videos or Netflix Watch Instantly (recently made compatible with Macs)

My computer crashes

It's getting to be annoying since my computer is my main source of entertainment.

Any suggestions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The entire computer crashes, meaning that you have to restart it from scratch? Or is it just that the browser or viewer crash (i.e. Quicktime)?

OP
R
Reaction score
The entire computer crashes, meaning that you have to restart it from scratch? Or is it just that the browser or viewer crash (i.e. Quicktime)?

the entire system crashes, only way out is a hard reset (holding the power button down)

Is it quicktime?

I think it's some sort of media viewer built into the browser

same thing happens on both firefox and safari

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the entire system crashes, only way out is a hard reset (holding the power button down)

Is it quicktime?

I think it's some sort of media viewer built into the browser

same thing happens on both firefox and safari

Hmmm... I've never seen a modern operating system do such a thing, unless there was a hardware failure of some sort. The next time the freeze up occurs, try pressing Command-Option-Esc. You should get a Force Quit window, which shows the non-responsive application. Terminate it and see if the computer again becomes responsive.

It's generally a bad thing for the machine to be hard powered off in the manner you describe - in fact, doing so can exacerbate the problem.

It sounds like Flash might be acting up. Make sure you download the latest version from Adobe:

Adobe - Adobe Flash Player

OP
R
Reaction score
It's generally a bad thing for the machine to be hard powered off in the manner you describe - in fact, doing so can exacerbate the problem.

The Apple Machine tells me to do it

a little message pops up

I'm only doing what I'm told, WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

2291559729_f54174637a_o.jpg

sorry for the theatrics, I'm well aware of what to do in events where you can use a soft reset vs a hard reset. This problem seems to happen only things that are DRM'd like Netflix and possibly the South Park episodes (which I'm supposing might not be DRM'd but may require similar "access")

if it truly was the flash, then why do youtube, adultswim, and other flash based web sites play video with no hitch?

. . . I'm starting to think about selling it and getting a mini

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm only doing what I'm told, WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

After that, you're on your own here, my friend. Completely inappropriate.

OP
R
Reaction score
After that, you're on your own here, my friend. Completely inappropriate.

you obviously didn't read down to the part where I put up my disclaimer

or

OR

you have no idea how to fix this

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.