• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Which blank DVD to get?

Reaction score
I just bought (last night) 16X Memorex DVD-R blank DVDS in hopes to burn some movies I purchase off iTunes; however, the DVD keeps spitting back out at me. I read on the web it's because of the speed (16X) and I should purchase lower ones. Any solution to this?

As for specs, here they are:
290px6c.png

6s772e.png

I tried to search the forums, but no luck. Plus I'm going to Best Buy really soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated ASAP (as in which blank DVD should I buy?). Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Imation, Ricoh (if available), Fuji, TDK, in that order.

OP
C
Reaction score
Any specific details for them? Like speed or so and so?

Thanks anyway. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Any specific details for them? Like speed or so and so?

I haven't got any Imation or Ricoh disks left, but I do have a couple of Verbatim +R DL which are 2.4x. For single layer dvd's you could go up to 8x. I think the 16x is too much, but then I'm a great believer in the old saying "slower is better". It certainly applies to recording music to cds and dvds.

So why don't you just buy, in the meantime anyway, some single dvdisks of differing brands and specs, rather than packs? Yes, I know, it's not the cheapest way to go but then you can at least sort out which disks will do the job properly.

OP
C
Reaction score
Good idea. I'll try that. I appreciate it for the brand names, etc.

Is it my Mac itself, though? Like, judging by the specs I am able to burn DVDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Core due Macbook white, 32GB iPod Touch
I've never had a problem using the Verbatum 8x with my mac. hope that works for you

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use TDK exclusively and have always had good results. My one recommendation is that if you intend to use the resulting disc in a DVD player, be sure to knock the write speed down to 4x or less. This can be done in most authoring applications (Toast, included), but I'm not sure if it's possible with iTunes itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it my Mac itself, though? Like, judging by the specs I am able to burn DVDs.

For sure, right up to +R-DL.

Take on board cwa's advice about setting the burn speed yourself. I've never used iTunes to burn, nor have I used the MacOS/Disk Utility capacity for disk burning. Toast is my preferred burning application, but there are others which may allow setting of low burn speeds.

OP
C
Reaction score
I went to Best Buy and Target. I was disappointed in Best Buy's selection, so I headed to Target. I was surprised at how much more expensive the DVDs were at Target, but selected the Imation DVD+R 16x (they didn't have anything below 16x) and I wasn't liking the 4 DVD pack selections. Looks like it's working as it's burning Into The Wild off iTunes right now. :) I'll let you guys know if I have anymore problems.

Will the imation DVD+R 16x be able to play in a DVD player? Thanks for the help!

OP
C
Reaction score
2qn13xc.png

I seem to have the worst luck. :\ Any solutions guys? It's a movie purchased off iTunes. I don't know what to do now, hah. No idea what a medium write error is. Or can you not burn movies purchased off iTunes because of piracy/etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Core due Macbook white, 32GB iPod Touch
i didnt think you could burn movies off of itunes. but i could be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
i didnt think you could burn movies off of itunes. but i could be wrong.

You can't. At least not ones purchased from iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Happy Imation customer here.... I also use TDK on occasion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
So, as silly and noobish as it sounds, can't you just adjust the burn speed?

I mean, I didn't think it mattered what speed the media was rated for as long as the burn speed didn't exceed that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.