E-mail, Internet browser, and AIM

Reaction score
ok so i have only had my mac for about 3 months and i absolutely love it. There have been a few things that i haven't been able to figure out and would like to know.

basically this is my problem. I want Netscape navigator be my defult browser, Apple's Mail app to be my defult mail client, and i want it so that whenever i click links in aim that it goes to netscape navigator. also i would like that when i click email links in netscape that it launches apple's mail insted of netscape's mail

thats all i would like to know for now thank you

OP
K
Reaction score
oh and i was also wondering if there was a way of key mapping in netscape navigator so that when i hit delete it goes back a page because i used to have it so on my old gateway laptop that if i hit backspace it would go back a page and i used it all the time and want to bring that to my powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Alright..To set Netscape as your default browser, go into Safari, Preferences, General Tab and Select it from the pull down menu..

To set Mail to be default, go into Mail(After setting Netscape to be browser), Preferences, General, select it from the pull down menu.

That should be it!

And as for the backspace thing, I use Safari(which I find to be a superior web browser), and it has the backspace for back feature! Try out Safari if you haven't already..It's truely wonderful!

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks the setting netscape thing worked but for mail what i mean is in netscape whenever i click a link to an email it takes me to netscapes mail client insted of apple's

also i have tried using safari and for some reason just never really liked it (guess i am holding on to the little pc devil inside of me by sticking with netscape....)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alrighty..well, since I never used netscape, nor want to, look inside the preferences of it for a default email client..I'm positive its in there!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I checked the peferences under netscape on my pc since I don't have netscape on my Apple. Hopefully they are the same, look under the mail & newsgroup twisty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
I checked the peferences under netscape on my pc since I don't have netscape on my Apple. Hopefully they are the same, look under the mail & newsgroup twisty.

hehe...Twisty...hehe

Sorry..I just get like that sometimes...:mac:

OP
K
Reaction score
is safari really that much better because i tried using it for awhile and it just always seemed kind of slow to me and since i got netscape for the most part it is as fast as it can be. i doubt it is the connection i am using because i have used both of them at school in which we have dual T1's. I have also tested it at my house and once again navigator seems faster. (if you want you can try and convince me of the upsides and downsides (and plz don't say none unless there are truly no downsides) to safari.)

now back to my original problem i have looked through all the menus under the preferences and haven't found anything relating to the defult mail client. maybe i am missing something but i really can't find it.

M

meltbanana314

Kutless217 said:
is safari really that much better because i tried using it for awhile and it just always seemed kind of slow to me and since i got netscape for the most part it is as fast as it can be. .

The words "Netscape" and "fast" should almost never be in the same sentence. Evar.

Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) is so much better than Netscape.

When Netscape was at the brink of going under, the Mozilla Foundation was formed - and the code from Netscape was open sourced and put into Mozilla, which was cut up and speeded up and turned into Firefox.

Just grab an optimized build of Firefox (http://homepage.mac.com/krmathis/) and enable pipelining (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1299854/posts)

You'll fly faster and higher than any drug will take you.

EDIT: Apple's Mail client is tops, but if you want to try Thunderbird out (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/) go right ahead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you really, really must to hack Netscape to use the system mail client, do the following.

1. Open a text editor* (BBEdit, JEdit, etc.) and paste
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);
2. Save the file under the name "user.js" in your Mozilla/Netscape Profile folder (Which will be somewhere in your ~/Library/ folder. Maybe inside Application Support or Preferences or somewhere. Probably nested several folders deep.)

* If you use the TextEdit app that comes with OS X, set it to "Plain Text" in Preferences.

OP
K
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Kutless217 said:
is safari really that much better because i tried using it for awhile and it just always seemed kind of slow to me and since i got netscape for the most part it is as fast as it can be. i doubt it is the connection i am using because i have used both of them at school in which we have dual T1's. I have also tested it at my house and once again navigator seems faster. (if you want you can try and convince me of the upsides and downsides (and plz don't say none unless there are truly no downsides) to safari.)

now back to my original problem i have looked through all the menus under the preferences and haven't found anything relating to the defult mail client. maybe i am missing something but i really can't find it.

I would personally recommend ditching Netscape for Camino. It's fast, has the same rendering engine as Netscape (meaning websites will look and load the same in both programs, only they'll load faster in Camino) and designed specifically for Mac OS X, unlike Firefox and Netscape, which are ports. Safari is Mac OS X native, but it is lacking in the rendering engine. A lot of people argue over whether Safari, Camino, Firefox, or Shiira (Safari-based, Japanese-made browser) is the fastest browser, but they're all fairly close from my experience. If you insist upon satisfying the 'PC devil' in you, the buttons on Camino and Firefox are rather Windows-esque, and there are programs to alter the appearance of both browsers. Enabling pipelining isn't worth your trouble as a basic user. It does speed things up, and if you use Camino, you can download a program called Camino ExtraPrefs, which does this, among other things, at the click of a button. Additionally, both Firefox and Camino have optimized versions for different processors available (G4 being the easiest to find).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.