Does anyone know how to Tether without jailbreaking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
I want to tether, since im taking a flight out to hawaii in a month, i wanted to know if anyone knew an application that you were able to use for tethering with out jailbreaking your iphone? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There is no official way to tether your iPhone. Don't worry though, jailbreaking is really simple and the many tethering apps available are all very simple to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
Remember though, it is against AT&T Rules, and if you go over the 5GB/month limit, your account will be flagged for review. Then an AT&T Rep will review your usage too see why you went over, and will notice tethering.

This is not confirmed though, because some people say AT&T cannot tell the different between Mobile browsing and tethering. My personal opinion: They can. Solely because they only allow certain ports through a mobile device, and if they notice a continuous connection from a port used on laptops, they get suspicious.

If AT&T does decide to take action, they will cancel your service, then charge you a termination fee for each line on your account.

Ofcourse this entire situation will not happen over a single month's usage. Just letting you know to not make tethering a habbit.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hold on, they can't charge you a termination fee if they're the ones who are canceling the account. If they did at one point you can bet that they don't anymore as a simple lawsuit would have taken care of that pretty quick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
i can't remember what site had it but supposedly after the 1st of the year
30.00 a month tethering fee was mentioned from AT&T.

OP
Luminosity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know jailbreaking is very easy and i also know AT&T tags your account after 5GB. But i will just be tethering maybe once a day and ill be monitoring my usage. As for the jailbreaking, It will void my warranty. Even if i restored it, if i take it to an apple store they can find out it was jailbroken and hand it back. A friend on another forum proved this to me after a LONG discussion everyone was having.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
Hold on, they can't charge you a termination fee if they're the ones who are canceling the account. If they did at one point you can bet that they don't anymore as a simple lawsuit would have taken care of that pretty quick.

It may seem like "common sense" that AT&T is not allowed to charge a termination fee, but consider this; What if users who wanted to cancel their account just went over their monthly limit, or tethered. They would be able to get their contract terminated, and not have to pay a dime.

My previous statement may not be correct, but AT&T must charge some pro-rated fee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know jailbreaking is very easy and i also know AT&T tags your account after 5GB. But i will just be tethering maybe once a day and ill be monitoring my usage. As for the jailbreaking, It will void my warranty. Even if i restored it, if i take it to an apple store they can find out it was jailbroken and hand it back. A friend on another forum proved this to me after a LONG discussion everyone was having.

Your friend must be confused between unlocking and jailbreaking, because once you restore your iPhone, there's no way to check that it had been jailbroken. I know lots of people who have jailbroken their phones, only to restore when it needs to be taken to the store and nobody has had a problem. Just be very convincing that you didn't jailbreak your phone and you should be fine. Your friend probably did something that gave him away.

OP
Luminosity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry i wasnt clear enough about my friend. He is actually a genius bar technician or something like that. Well he is very nice guy on the forums, and repairs peoples iphones and ipods for free (im going OT). But he proved that anyone from the apple store can see if you have jailbroken it as easy as plugging it into a device. He showed us the picture of what it does, and its basically a log file or "digital finger print" of everything you have done to your iphone. I will post a link to the forum but im not sure about the rules here. Would it be ok to give you a link?

OP
Luminosity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just found out that this site has advertisments about ModMyi.com which is the forum im talking about. Well heres the link, read everyones posts (2 pages) and read what One1 has to say. He is the apple technician.
Link HERE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you go back to read that thread, it just proves my point. It's only when you unlock the phone that leaves a trace of some change made (the baseband being the most prominent, which isn't reverted during a restore). A simple jailbreak leaves no noticeable trace following a restore. It's true that if you dig around fervently enough, you'll eventually find some trace, but this isn't something Apple techs do, nor do they probably have the software available on hand to do such a search (it essentially requires one to dig around in the file system of the iPhone).

Plus, Apple techs aren't exactly reliable sources of information regarding this issue. They're going to make it seem as though they know what they're looking for when in reality they have no clue or simply don't want to admit the fact that they are unable to tell the difference between a stock iPhone and a restored iPhone that was once jailbroken. Then there's the fact that he was being really evasive in that thread regarding the source of his information, and there's no indication that the picture he posted is from a phone that had its jailbreak wiped, could just be that he plugged in a jailbroken iPhone and got those results. Seems to me that someone is trying to hide the fact that they don't really know anything.

OP
Luminosity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. Im just wayyy worried about doing this. What if in one of apples updates they can tell you have jailbroken your iphone? Another reason im scared to do it. Im kinda in a delima.
Lets say i do jailbreak my iphone, would i still be able to download apps from the app store? Or would i just be able to download from cyndia or what ever?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A jailbroken iPhone works exactly the same as a regular iPhone, with the addition of two new apps, Cydia and Installer. So you can still use the App Store and the iTunes Store and anything else you can do with an iPhone.

OP
Luminosity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.