USB port shutting down

Reaction score
Hi everyone:D I just had a quick question about my macbook. To go on the internet, (I have dial-up:Grimmace: ) I connect the phone line into the usb phone line connector thingy, but recently, I started getting a message saying that a usb device was using too much power, and the port needed to be shut down. It happens a lot, and now I can only go online once a day.

The computer is only two years old, and I'm not sure if I need to get an update or whatever. It does it on both ports, and gets pretty hot after a while. Also, it forces me to restart it a few times a week.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if I need to be be more specific!!!!;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hi everyone:D I just had a quick question about my macbook. To go on the internet, (I have dial-up:Grimmace: ) I connect the phone line into the usb phone line connector thingy, but recently, I started getting a message saying that a usb device was using too much power, and the port needed to be shut down. It happens a lot, and now I can only go online once a day.

The computer is only two years old, and I'm not sure if I need to get an update or whatever. It does it on both ports, and gets pretty hot after a while. Also, it forces me to restart it a few times a week.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if I need to be be more specific!!!!;D
Try using a powered USB hub.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.