• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Simplest, safest way to convert files to mac friendly types?

Reaction score
I'm a very recent switcher to Mac. I've been searching all around for different ways to make my video files mac friendly. I have a lot of them--many of which are original works. It's very important that I do not lose quality in the change over, but I would really like for the files to be able to show up in itunes and such.

So, basically, I'm searching for a way to convert all the videos that have been happily residing on my Windows machine over to a Mac friendly file format without losing quality. And, being that I have a lot of videos, I'm hoping there's a way to do this in batch.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you just want to be able to watch them on your Mac, then there's really no need to convert them. You can watch essentially any video format on your Mac, just download the Perian codec and VLC media player.

The only reason to really import them all into iTunes is to make them available for transfer to iPods or iPhones. Do you have an iPod or iPhone that you would like to transfer the videos to? If so, then download a program called iSquint (free) and it'll convert almost anything you throw at it to a format that can be transferred to the iPod/iPhone.

OP
B
Reaction score
It's not really about just watching them. As it is now, Quicktime will play pretty much anything. It's more about allowing the computer to function as kind of a media center that's operable from across the room using the remote. The computer is attached to a sizable display that can easily act like a television. But none of that does me much good unless the media files reside in iTunes. So I figured the best policy would be to just convert everything and get used to work with that instead of having a birds nest of various file types.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Ahh, you want to use it as a media center (presumably with Front Row?). In that case you should still be able to use iSquint, just make sure you select the "Optimize for TV" option

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.