• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How can i save youtube vids on my desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I dont want to save them as an internet link file as it normally does on my mac. I want to keep it on my desktop as an MP4. Can anyone recommend ant free software that can do this please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
There's many firefox extensions out there which do just this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
to download youtube videos as FLV use the firefox extension Fast Video Download

to make the FLV file in to an MP4 you could use MPEG Streamclip

Reaction score
I use downloadhelper. (348,936 weekly downloads)
fast download has 71,987 weekly downloads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
TubeTV does a good job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
Best out there right now as a youtube downloader which can download them as fast as your internet can load them is called GetTube. Its also free, and you can donate to them whenever.

Reaction score
On the window tab (in Safari), I just click Activity. Under the Youtube link portion, there should be a link (when viewing the video) with the extension of get_video and you just double click it. Depending on the format the video was uploaded, it will download to your desktop directly. I've gotten .mp4's this way. Quick and easy and I didn't have to convert. Works for me anyhow.

Reaction score
If you use Firefox, simply add the plug-in DownloadHelper.
Get it by clicking on "Tools" and select "Downloads" then click on "DownloadHelper" to DL and install the add-on.
When you view an flv clip, simply right click on the screen, select the clip shown and voila, it's automatically DLed as you watch it. No extra software to install and hassle with.

Reaction score
What i do is just create a bookmark (like above the tabs in firefox) that links to this code:

Code:
javascript:if%20(document.getElementById('download-youtube-video')==null%20&&%20!!(document.location.href.match(/http:\/\/[a-zA-Z\.]*youtube\.com\/watch/)))%20{var%20yt_mp4_path='http://www.youtube.com/get_video?fmt=18&video_id='+swfArgs['video_id']+'&t='+swfArgs['t'];%20var%20div_embed=document.getElementById('watch-embed-div');if(div_embed){var%20div_download=document.createElement('div');div_download.innerHTML='<br%20/>%20<span%20id=\'download-youtube-video\'><a%20href=\''+yt_mp4_path+'\'>Download%20as%20MP4</a>%20'+%20%20((navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Safari')!=-1)?'(control-click%20and%20select%20<i>Download%20linked%20file%20as</i>)':('(right-click%20and%20select%20<i>Save%20'+%20(navigator.appName=='Microsoft%20Internet%20Explorer'?'target':'link')%20+'%20as)</i>'))+'</span>';div_embed.appendChild(div_download);}}void(0);
All you do is go to the youtube video you want, click the bookmark, and there is a link to download the .mp4 from youtube! It just pops up under the video itself.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.