Mac Mini: Go ahead and buy with 256MB and upgrade the RAM myself?

D

DJ-phYre

I just read my first review, as I posted a topic a while back....

I am interested in a Mac Mini to try out OS X and get experienced with Mac... however I was amazed at how much Apple charges for their RAM. I was wondering if I could just buy the Mini and then purchase some DDR333 or DDR400 RAM online and pop it into the Mini... The review I read from Anandtech said that I had to make sure I got the right RAM because the Mini is picky about the SPD..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I thought the mini could only be opened by apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
no there is a vid some place on the net.. showing how to open a mac mini :O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
NightCrawler said:
no there is a vid some place on the net.. showing how to open a mac mini :O

What Macman meant is that only Apple technicians are "authorized" to open it...

It's pretty confusing actually, some places say that you will void your warranty, other's say that it's ok to change it yourself.

This is from the Apple support site:
The Mac mini has a 256 MB base memory configuration, which can be expanded up to a maximum of 1 GB. The Mac mini can be configured to order (CTO) with 512 MB or 1 GB of SDRAM. Additional memory should be installed by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

(the full statement can be found here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300572 )

It says SHOULD be installed by an ASP, not MUST...

So IMO I think you can do it yourself, as long as you don't break anything...

Reaction score
Yes, you can do it yourself. I have not tried to see if I can open. But my wife is a certified DELL computer tech, maybe I'll let her peek at it. ;)

I know Dell and Mac's not the same. but then again, she upgraded my Compaq laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.