fusio with boot camp and XP installed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC PRO and Imac
I already have boot camp and win xp already installed on my imac and is working fine. I'd like to install fusion on my machine but I want to know if to install "fusion", do I need to uninstall boot camp/win xp before?:[

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Nope. In fact, Fusion can access your existing Boot Camp partition, rather than having to install Windows in another, separate VM. It's pretty slick.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I already have boot camp and win xp already installed on my imac and is working fine. I'd like to install fusion on my machine but I want to know if to install "fusion", do I need to uninstall boot camp/win xp before?:[

As cwa107 has replied, it's not necessary. However, a few things you need to know... If you install Fusion and access your Boot Camp partition using it as a VM, you will have to activate XP again, this time from Fusion.

Also, accessing a Boot Camp partition from Fusion (using BC as a VM) can cause corruption to the BC installation. This has been reported by quite a few users and usually requires a re-installation of XP. So if you decide to go that way, be careful. More info on this can be found in the Fusion user's forum.

VMware Communities: Community: VMware Fusion

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
As you don't need Boot Camp to run fusion aren't you just complicating things by keeping it. Personally, I'd remove BootCamp and XP, install Fusion then XP but each to is own.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As you don't need Boot Camp to run fusion aren't you just complicating things by keeping it. Personally, I'd remove BootCamp and XP, install Fusion then XP but each to is own.

Sometimes it's good to have the option of using either. For example, games don't run very well in virtualization, so one might want to be able to run a game in Boot Camp instead.

Reaction score
Agree with both Sawday and cwa107; I had both for awhile but ultimately went with only Fusion. In Fusion, also be sure to install VM Ware Tools, which will help avoid some activation issues. You can also download Fusion as a trial version, to see how it all works and to get it running to your satisfaction, before spending $$ on it, which I would recommend. Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.