airport failing to connect to internet?

E

eliteforce

Hi all,

I have a G4 Powerbook which I've run the airport wireless successfully over the past year or so on my travels. I'm based in a non-broadband area, so the only option for large uploads & downloads is to take the laptop & do it wireless. However, it's suddenly stopped working & I have no idea why.

When I check in Internet Connect, the green light is usually on when I'm in a wi-fi spot & the message will be: “AirPort is connected to the network _______. You are connected to the internet via AirPort”

So it's telling me I'm connected. However, when I open my browser I get an immediate stalling, often with the detail

in the bottom left hand corner (in IE), followed by a 30 second delay and the message:

"The specified server could not be found."

Any ideas what I should try. Have repaired permissions & the like & checked what I can.

cheers in advance,
sHack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you tried safari? also open airport utility, and make sure that its set up correctly, also open system prefs>network, and check the airports config.

OP
E

eliteforce

yep I tried it in Safari, but the same thing happens - it just hangs and then fails to connect. The dial up works fine from home. With the airport utility, it seems to be set up properly (otherwise I would have thought the green light wouldn't have been on in Internet Connect?)....what should I look out for with the setup?

s

OP
P

pitythefool

I'm having a very similar problem - I haven't got a clue what's up with it. If you find anything that works, I'd be very interested to hear!

I'm living in a (student) house of PCs, and for my iBook I've got a Belkin wireless hub connected to the network. Since I bought the iBook in September, I've had no problems connecting to the Internet via the Belkin jobbie, and also use it on an almost daily basis at Uni with their wireless network.

The problem I've got now is that at home it doesn't seem to want to connect to the Internet. It connects to the hub fine, and in System Preferences it says you're connected to the wireless network blah blah blah but you are not connected to the Internet.

When I'm at Uni, it seems to connect to the Internet with absolutely no problem. I've tried manually configuring the IP address and gateway etc, but to no avail.

Any ideas anyone can throw in my direction will be happily tried out! :dive:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't know if this will help of not but, is the Wireless network you are trying to connect to have WEP Enctyption turned on with a 64 or 128 Bit Hex password? Almost everytime I have had that problem where it's connected but would not browse the Internet somehow my WEP Password got messed up and just entering it again solved it. Don't know if the Networks you are trying to connect to have that enabled or not but thought I would mention it just in case.

OP
P

pitythefool

I've just reset the password on the network and it seems to be working fine again now.

That's a wierd little anomaly - thanks for the tip!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.