Installing OS X on the old iMac...

Reaction score
Well, a few years ago my family and I said goodbye to our iMac G3, stashing it away in the attic, and giving the new iMac it's home on the desk....

Several days ago, I dug the G3 out of the attic, and decided to install OS X, and put it to good use.
But I can't. It freezes everytime I try to install it, usually half way through the installation process, although it varies each time I try.

So here's my question... Could I be doing something wrong...?
Or has my computer simply seen better days?
Eventually, I'll probably break down and take the old thing in, but for now I'd like to hear the opinions of others on this matter. =/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the specs of that iMac G3? Older ones had to have the Firmware updated before you can install OSX. Can you give us the specs like CPU Speed, Color. How much RAM is in that iMac G3? What version of OSX are you trying to install? What OSX CD/DVD are you using? Gray? Black? You can not use OSX from the new iMac to install on the old one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.