a simple question about price

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker
i just wanna aska question on the apple vs windows deal for a second. nothing big. i kinda dont get what they mean when they say mac's are more expensive. i just bought a killer ibook with a 60 gig HD, 764 RAM, bluetooth, and JBL duet speakers for 1200 with a student discount. rarely do u see a windows laptop with those features(especially a real vid card) for that price. so why do they say macs are more expensive? i dont get it. really.

D

Desolate One

I think most people are comparing a $500 Dell desktop to a $1800 iMac and don't mind the tech specs of the machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
Desolate One said:
I think most people are comparing a $500 Dell desktop to a $1800 iMac and don't mind the tech specs of the machines.

thats is what my friends do... meh.. not phair :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Desolate One said:

Yep, that sums it up... :mac:

Reaction score
shimanok2 said:
i just wanna aska question on the apple vs windows deal for a second. nothing big. i kinda dont get what they mean when they say mac's are more expensive. i just bought a killer ibook with a 60 gig HD, 764 RAM, bluetooth, and JBL duet speakers for 1200 with a student discount. rarely do u see a windows laptop with those features(especially a real vid card) for that price. so why do they say macs are more expensive? i dont get it. really.

For the simple reason they are more expensive than compairable pc systems. To get a pc that aprox equals say a iMac G5 you would be paying about $1200 to $1500, the iMac G5 with 20" runs about $1800. A P4 3.6 can run around $1800 to $2000 where as a Power Mac G5 runs around $2500.

Ya, Macs are a bit more expensive, but they are worth it...I would pay $500 extra any day to run a smooth powerful system like OS X over that cludge they call Winders XP with all its related problems, most of which doesn't happen with the Mac. My blood pressure has dropped 30 points since ridding myself of Winders....

P

Pizza God

Don't forget the longevity-I still do some word processing on my Classic II and surf and travel with my Pismo which is running 10.3.7-try running XP on a five year old Windows Machine (let's see....that would be like a P2 or P3) draggy to say the least, and there are probably a lot of programs and games that would not work on a PC that old.

These are just solid, well crafted machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 iMac, 1.8, 1 Gig, airport// G4 PowerMac w/Apple LCD, 12" G4 PowerBook, G3 Clamshell
...you get what you pay for! The older I get the more I realize that!!!

?

)(*

the look alone on peoples faces when i pull my Powerbook out in class is priceless.

Reaction score
wvmac said:
...you get what you pay for! The older I get the more I realize that!!!

Ah, if only that were really true, one does not always get what they pay for, but, one does always pay for what they get...

D

Desolate One

James said:
Ah, if only that were really true, one does not always get what they pay for, but, one does always pay for what they get...

Ah, the philosophy is just too deep in this thread. I'm going ot have to pick up a cold six on the way home. :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
James said:
For the simple reason they are more expensive than compairable pc systems. To get a pc that aprox equals say a iMac G5 you would be paying about $1200 to $1500, the iMac G5 with 20" runs about $1800. A P4 3.6 can run around $1800 to $2000 where as a Power Mac G5 runs around $2500.

Allthough you're mainly right, your comparison with the iMac isn't entirely correct. An equivalent PC with a 20" TFT will not be much cheaper than the 20" iMac...especially not a 16/10 screen. The screen alone, even non-Apple isn't much less than 1000,-

What's definitely ridiculous is Apple's price policy on BTO options...
I mean, over €420,- for a 1GB RAM module?!? Who are they kidding?! I get two Kingston modules at that price, and still have some money left!! (actually €173.- each)

Reaction score
Desolate One said:
Ah, the philosophy is just too deep in this thread. I'm going ot have to pick up a cold six on the way home. :dummy:

So what excuse would you have used other wise?...Make that a cold 12 and I will join you...

Reaction score
Avalon said:
Allthough you're mainly right, your comparison with the iMac isn't entirely correct. An equivalent PC with a 20" TFT will not be much cheaper than the 20" iMac...especially not a 16/10 screen. The screen alone, even non-Apple isn't much less than 1000,-

What's definitely ridiculous is Apple's price policy on BTO options...
I mean, over €420,- for a 1GB RAM module?!? Who are they kidding?! I get two Kingston modules at that price, and still have some money left!! (actually €173.- each)

Glad I'm not paying your prices. Here you can get a fairly decent flat screen for $500 to $800, course the good ones are over the thousand mark, but no where near the $2395 apple wants...Apple hardware has always been out of line for their stuff, that's one of the biggest reasons their user base is as low as it is, even with all the free hardware they gave away years ago to the schools.

I thought about buying an apple when they first hit the market, i lived in San Jose then, right next to the "Valley", but green screen sucked and i went another way. Then later when they improved a bit they were just to darn expensive for what you got. Later when the pc finally improved to usable, the price difference between Mac (Early Macs) and the pc was just to much because of the closed shop Mac. Finally the Mac's are starting to get more within reason price wise and with OS X and the G5 line, they are actually worth the extra price, in my opinion anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
James said:
Glad I'm not paying your prices. Here you can get a fairly decent flat screen for $500 to $800, course the good ones are over the thousand mark, but no where near the $2395 apple wants...

$500 for a 20" flat screen?!? Man, that's horribly cheap!

The cheapest 20" flat screen I found over here was about €850,- but it wasn't a 16/10. So after the price drops Apple did, their 20" isn't that expensive anymore (€999,-). 16/10screens from other brands don't ship below €1200,- mostly...

Reaction score
Avalon said:
$500 for a 20" flat screen?!? Man, that's horribly cheap!

The cheapest 20" flat screen I found over here was about €850,- but it wasn't a 16/10. So after the price drops Apple did, their 20" isn't that expensive anymore (€999,-). 16/10screens from other brands don't ship below €1200,- mostly...

Opps, sorry didn't mean 500 for a 20", the 500's are for 17" but you can get 19" and 20"'s in the 800 range and when you get up to 950 range you start getting some quite good ones. Very good ones go for about 1050 to 1200...I am not up on the exchange rate, how much US$ does you 999 work out too?

Ya, apple finally did drop their prices a bit on the screens, but they are still way over the others, and while i think they are very good and would love to have one, the price is just to darn much. There newest one, the 30" is priced at $3400, who in their right mind is gona pay that...

Reaction score
I currently use a Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1" Widescreen LCD (1680x1050). The specs on this monitor meet or exceed that of the Apple 20" screen. I paid $579 for it, but I have scene it as low as $549 (retail $799). PCs are cheaper all the way around. Dell's size gives them amazing pricing power.

Reaction score
Avid6eek said:
I currently use a Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1" Widescreen LCD (1680x1050). The specs on this monitor meet or exceed that of the Apple 20" screen. I paid $579 for it, but I have scene it as low as $549 (retail $799). PCs are cheaper all the way around. Dell's size gives them amazing pricing power.

I use a Samsung 20" SyncMaster with which i am very happy, does a great job so far for normal use and games.

I see you have a 10k Raptor online...how do you like it, and how long have you been using it with the mac? I had one online for about two months, but i started getting a bunch of music files corrupted so i pulled it off. Not sure that it was the drives fault, but haven't had any problems since i replaced it...I replaced it with a 200 gig Western Digital sata drive and it seems to be doing quite well so far.

Reaction score
My Mac won't arrive until tomorrow, but the first thing I'm going to do is install a new copy of the OS on the Raptor. I have quite a few PC parts lying around. Typically I build my own systems...this Mac will be the first one I've bought since I was 16. I've been using the 74GB raptors in PCs since they first came out, and I absolutely love them. Originally I was concerned about it being too loud, but after playing with a dual 2.5Ghz/6800 Ultra system in the Mac store, I found out that it is a pretty loud system in itself, so the HD will be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.