iWork vs Microsoft Office 08

Reaction score
So for college I've decided to get an iMac. Should I get iWork (70$ *edu discount) or Office '08 (159 *edu discount)? Is office worth the money? Does iWork work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP
In my opinion, you'll be happy with either one. You can save documents as Word docs in Pages so others can read your documents if you give them one of your files. Personally, I like iWork because it's a Mac app. Microsoft Word works OK too but iWork seems somewhat quicker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get Office 2008 as suggested. Some college, and university, lecturers just will not co-operate in handling anything other than Office submissions. You will find this pretty common through other posts.

If you do get Office 2008, make sure you change the default saving from .docx to .dec in the Preferences. Not all PC users are up to date with the XML Open update from Miscrosoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're getting this for school, then I would highly suggest getting Office 2008

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Aluminum Macbook!
Before I buy 2008, haven't there been problems with 2008? On Apples page the office suite gets a ****** review.. Just wondering before I buy it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Before I buy 2008, haven't there been problems with 2008? On Apples page the office suite gets a ****** review.. Just wondering before I buy it. Thanks.

Some Mac users tend to be biased against anything Microsoft. Office 2008 is not different than any other version of Office you have used in the past. If you like PC Office, then you'll like Office 2008. If you hate all things Microsoft, then you probably won't like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Works very nicely with no freezes or crashes. Make sure all updates are installed from Mactopia ~ currently version 12.1.5.

Reaction score
iWork vs Office 08

Hi,

While normally, I'd suggest you go with the flow and use Office, the latest version of Office 2008 looks and feels much more like iWork than previous versions of Office. More important and frustrating, I just installed Office 2008 on my MacPro and am having all sorts of hangs with Excel. The Office 08 install is relatively new, so I can't comment on how it behaves on other macs, but the way it's operating now is *not acceptable*. I'm working with a relatively small file and am just trying to format a bunch of charts and Excel keeps crashing.

If you can get an older version of Office, do that. Otherwise, I'd go with iWork. The always crashing Excel is pretty worthless.

Brooke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Hi,

While normally, I'd suggest you go with the flow and use Office, the latest version of Office 2008 looks and feels much more like iWork than previous versions of Office. More important and frustrating, I just installed Office 2008 on my MacPro and am having all sorts of hangs with Excel. The Office 08 install is relatively new, so I can't comment on how it behaves on other macs, but the way it's operating now is *not acceptable*. I'm working with a relatively small file and am just trying to format a bunch of charts and Excel keeps crashing.

If you can get an older version of Office, do that. Otherwise, I'd go with iWork. The always crashing Excel is pretty worthless.

Brooke

Do you have the latest versions installed? There have been several software updates.

Help > Check for Updates

Reaction score
Yes, Excel has a hanging problem. Can't comment on Word, but Excel randomly hangs when formatting a charts.

Reaction score
Do you have the latest versions installed? There have been several software updates.

Help > Check for Updates
Yes, I am all updated (version 12.1.5). Excel just hung again! I have an "exotic" video card (NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT) that has caused problems with Java 3D in the past, but I would be surprised if that is the case here. No other programs are behaving badly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I have both and I'm also a student, so here's my experiences:

If it's a paper or document that I'm the only person working on, using Pages (iWork) is never an issue. I just export it as a word document or PDF, make sure the formatting is intact and it's fine.

If I'm collaborating with others, then importing into iWork will be fine mostly, but something minor might get messed up (table formatting changed, image location moved etc). Minor glitches, but if you're going back and forth with multiple document revisions, it's a pain.

Having said that, Office 2008 has been such a huge nightmare to work with (both in terms of speed and in general usability), I try to avoid it whenever possible. This may sound like MS bashing, but it's really not. Office 08 is just so cluttered and inefficient to work with, it's incredible.

Plus Microsoft has acknowledged that their floating Formatting palette (basically the most important toolbox you'll use all the time) is incompatible with Spaces (it gets stuck on a space, so you'll switch to Word and Spaces will go to an empty space with just the formatting palette) and MS isn't going to fix it until the next major version of Office.

Oh and Office 2008 isn't compatible with Visio 2007 documents either. Just in case you need to embed any of those into your documents.

So what I end up doing is using Pages whenever I can, Office 2008 if I'm making quick changes on collaborative documents and Office 2007 running under Parallels whenever I need to work with Visio documents. Thank you microsoft. ;)

If you just need to hand in your own work, go with iWork.

Reaction score
Why not just save the 100 dollars and download open office? Open office is the most compatible, as it is pretty much the only office app used by linux users, its compatible with msoffice, and it works on any current operating system mac os x, windows xp, most linux etc.. I use open office and see no need for msoffice, unless they have got something new and revolutionary in it.

Reaction score
I just switched to a Mac and am so frustrated with Word 2008 I could scream; it crashes several times a day (and yes, it is updated) and doesn't recover the documents! I've been using Pages, but get frustrated with having to "save as" every time I save the same document; I'm now going to try Open Office.

Sigh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
OpenOffice works well, be sure to get the 3.0.1 version that was posted this week.

Also, watch for NeoOffice 3.0 in March. I have been using the Early Access of NeoOffice 3.0. Has all of Oo_Org 3.0 plus it is faster and as stable as Oo_Org 3.0. And it looks and feels like a Mac. Oh, and for me it handles Hebrew (RTL languages), which Oo_Org 3.0 does not handle correctly (at least on the Mac, it works correctly on Windows and Linux).

Reaction score
iWork is very good and enough. but it is lacking for database manager! as Access in MS office, is there any free application for data base for mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5
OpenOffice.org 3.0.x has a database program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.