Will my PowerBook G4 support OSX 10.5 Leopard?

Reaction score
I know that Apple has the minimum requirements on the website but it all just confuses me trying to link one stat with another so i'll just post my stats here and would someone be able to tell me if I should go and buy Leopard? Please.

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.7.1f1

If there's any additional information you need to know then please tell me and i'll try and find it.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Your machine will run Leopard just fine. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, 10.5 Leopard will run fine on that hardware. I might suggest maxing the RAM though if you do a lot of heavy multitasking. Otherwise it will install and run fine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

It's just difficult because my dad (who is a longtime mac user) says that it would probably be worse to upgrade because my PowerBook G4 is native to Tiger and upgrading to a system to which it is not native (Leopard) will not make it better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Well, it's true that your PowerBook probably came with Tiger, but OS X has a history of running faster with every new version, even on the same hardware. Leopard does have a higher overhead with increased eye candy and features such as Spaces and Time Machine, but these don't add up to a significant decrease in performance. Besides, they can be disabled if you want. Even much of the eye candy can be turned off. The transparent menu bar can be disabled in System Preferences, and the Dock can be made 2D with a simple terminal command. I used to have the same PowerBook as you, and it ran just as fast or faster in Leopard as it did in Tiger.

Reaction score
OS 10.5 will not install on my PowerBook G4

I have these attributes on my machine, too.

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.7.1f1

When I boot up using the OS 10.5 install disk, it gives me a message that "OS X cannot be installed on this computer." What's up with that? It currently is running 10.4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Better by far to start your own thread instead of activating one three years old.

If your machines specs are correct, sounds like you are using a system install disc that came with another computer. They are extremely model specific. You need the retail install DVD, worth about $100 bucks or so on eBay etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.