installing specific version of OS X

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've tried searching for this particular query but either I've been too specific or (more likely?) not specific enough because I've not found an answer, here's hoping someone will be able to shed some light on this for me!

I'm assembling a project studio at home, and shortly I'll be buying my first Mac (a refurb G5 dual 2GHz). I'm using Pro Tools, and as Digidesign only qualify certain releases of OS X I was wondering if it was possible (and by extension how easy is it) to install certain versions? Say I was 10.4.x and I wanted to be running a specific one, e.g. 10.4.9?

Is there any cost involved? I presume it only costs to go from Tiger to Leopard?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Correct.

You can download the combo updaters for all versions of OS X from Apple's downloads page, so if you install a clean 10.4.0, you can update to any 10.4.x version you want.

Provided you don't install the automatic updates, you can then remain at that version as long as you want.
Only 10.x releases are paid.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There is no cost involved in going from 10.4.0 to 10.4.9, for example. The only time you would need to purchase a new version is if you were going to a new major revision (from 10.4 to 10.5, for example).

As for installing updates, you can get specific releases straight from Apple's download page. Just be careful about doing automatic software updates.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks very much, that's very useful!

Like I say, Pro Tools is only qualified on certain versions so this information is a great help when it comes to buying second hand. Thanks!

OP
C
Reaction score
Update! Help!

I have OS X 10.4.11 and I want to get back to 10.4.8 - how do I do that? I've tried downloading the installer and it tells me "You cannot install Mac OS X Update (PowerPC) on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

Now I've seen some mention of this online but it seems to be when people don't realise they're maybe installing an older build of the same release... but I actually *want* this version - I'm running Pro Tools and Digidesign only support certain releases y'see!

Any suggestions? I'm running a 2GHz Dualcore G5... hilfe!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Only way to go backwards that I have seen is install 10.4 again then run the 10.4.8 updater. What I did once was an Archive and Install which does not kill the installed Applications or data then update to .8.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.