Question about Acquisition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.53ghz, 4gb RAM, 320gb HD, 512mb vid card.
Downloaded Acquisition off of that first post in the software guide thread recommending it for downloads and torrents, except - it gets stuck connecting and doesn't do anything. Google searches only brought up old posts from back in like July and April, no fixes that I saw besides "download the new version, it works now". Except, I'm pretty sure that the version on their site is the latest and it still doesn't work. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 2 GB RAM
Downloaded Acquisition off of that first post in the software guide thread recommending it for downloads and torrents, except - it gets stuck connecting and doesn't do anything. Google searches only brought up old posts from back in like July and April, no fixes that I saw besides "download the new version, it works now". Except, I'm pretty sure that the version on their site is the latest and it still doesn't work. Thoughts?
Acquisition isn't the best bit torrent client out there. I tried it a few months back and it was really slow.

I recommend switching to Transmission (link) its the fastest bit torrent client I ever used (for mac).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also note that to have a successful BT transfer, you need to open up the ports that your BT client is using to enable uploads. BT is a give and take system, so you won't get a whole lot of transfer speed until you have a decent chunk of the file AND you are uploading to other clients.

If you're using Transmission, TCP and UDP port 51413 needs to be port forwarded to your client on your router. You'll also need to change your firewall settings on your Mac to allow Transmission to accept incoming traffic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
x3 on Transmission as well, best I've used on the Mac. Make sure to forward your ports as well, allows it to be much faster DL and UL times.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Where do I change firewall settings at...? Wasn't aware the MacBook HAD a firewall...

2. What range do I need to put in for a Linksys router? In the port forwarding stuff it asks me for a range, I tried just putting in 51413 for both start and end, tried 51412-51413, both just give me errors.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1. Where do I change firewall settings at...? Wasn't aware the MacBook HAD a firewall...

2. What range do I need to put in for a Linksys router? In the port forwarding stuff it asks me for a range, I tried just putting in 51413 for both start and end, tried 51412-51413, both just give me errors.

1. System Preferences => Security => Firewall tab.

2. Range = 51413-51413 both TCP and UDP.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got transmission working, thanks :) still getting errors with the router but I think that's the router's fault not what I'm doing with it. Dunno.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
Wow, have you guys used Vuse? (Azures) It is hands down, my favorite torrent app. Its VERY fast, and has its own torrent search inside the program. Its a bit of a resource hog, if you dont have a decent rig, but its crazzy fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
x5 (?) for Transmission ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.