Macbook to Vizio 32"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Hello, I just purchases a vizio 32" HDTV from Costco. When I tried to hook it up to my macbook via mini DVI to VGA I saw part of the image on the screen, but not all of it. No matter what resolution I tried it would not work. At one point I had most of the screen on there with the left side cut off a bit. Weird thing is there was empty space on the right side of the screen. I had it in mirror mode. Any ideas?

OP
MacMania55
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Bump! Any idea on this guys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
I've had this since the first day I hooked my Mac up to an LCD screen. Have yet to find a solution...

Reaction score
Why use VGA?

If your HDTV is new it must have an HDMI or DVI input. I connect my macbook to three different displays via DVI, it works all the time and always sets itself to the best resolution.

Reaction score
Mine works fine on my 32inch. I had to futz with settings, but eventually got it to work. Hope you figure this out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
I have this exact problem with my 32' Vizio. I can get it almost perfect but then half of the dock is cut off. Has any one had success with a Vizio?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Costco has one of the best return policies of any reseller. If you have no success getting the Vizio to work properly with your MacBook, take the Vizio back and purchase something else. But first try using the DVI to HDMI as has been suggested.

Regards.

Reaction score
Same Problem. Worked Perfect with old macbook. new macbook and new vga adapter doesn't work with the 1360x768. cuts a part of the screen off.

THERE IS NO WAY TO FIX THIS ISSUE?

Reaction score
When I hook my MBP up to my 32" Westinghouse, I have to go into System Preferences/Display and change something in there. Can't recall exactly what the setting is though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Change the hertz. I have a 32" Vizio that I bought 2 years ago and had this same problem. Went into system pref. and with mirroring on, I set it to 1366x768 at 60Hz. I've had this problem a couple of times, and monkeying with the Hertz always fixes it. Even if it's on 60Hz, putting it on a different setting and then putting it back always seemed to work for me.

Also, I would say to calibrate your mac and the tv in display settings. All you really need to do is select calibrate, hit continue until you get to the screen that reads " select a target gamma". Change it to 2.2. Then click continue until you get to the save screen, save it and you're done.
Windows runs under 2.2 gamma and so do most CRT monitors. I find it to be richer in color and not as faded as the 1.8 mac defaults to. Your own preference though.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Change input on TV to something else like TV, Input 1, or DVI then back to VGA. This works for me.
Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
If my suspicion is correct, this is a really common problem when you first hook up any display via VGA.

What you need to do is go into the TV's menu and look for picture/image settings or something. Then look for an "auto adjust" option. It's different for every TV but it should be available as long as you're hooked up via VGA. Auto adjust will automatically make the image fit the screen with no gaps.

Another recommendation - use VGA, not DVI or HDMI, for connecting a computer. VGA will allow you to use 1:1 pixel scaling and run the TV at its native resolution. In my experience, HDMI has always had the problem of being unable to display 1366x768 on my TV. It'll do 1280x720, but then it has to upscale that image to fit the TV, which makes it look fuzzy and bad. Fine for watching a movie, but not for use as a computer monitor. Connecting via VGA allows a true 1366x768 image to go from the computer to the TV, so everything is pixel-perfect.

Reaction score
One problem solved, another problem found

I have gotten my Macbook Pro to hook up to my Vizio 32" TV (which I love). You will need an HDMI cord and an adapter that will connect your HDMI cord to your mini display port in your Macbook pro. Go to settings, click on Display, then click on Arrangements, and finally click on the box that says Mirror Displays. Once you have done this your Macbook desktop should display PERFECTLY on your TV, mine did successfully. However, my problem is my Macbook will not pick up my TV in the sound output settings, if someone has a solution to this PLEASE let me know! Thanks!

Reaction score
sound through hdmi

I have gotten my Macbook Pro to hook up to my Vizio 32" TV (which I love). You will need an HDMI cord and an adapter that will connect your HDMI cord to your mini display port in your Macbook pro. Go to settings, click on Display, then click on Arrangements, and finally click on the box that says Mirror Displays. Once you have done this your Macbook desktop should display PERFECTLY on your TV, mine did successfully. However, my problem is my Macbook will not pick up my TV in the sound output settings, if someone has a solution to this PLEASE let me know! Thanks!

With your HDMI connected to the TV and your mac, go to the system preferences, then click sound. In the "select device for sound output" box, your HDMI should show up. Click that and you should be good to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.