I've produced a take apart guide and want feedback

Reaction score
Hi All

I've produced a imac core duo take apart guide and wanted some feedback before putting it up globally. Just interested in people's thoughts really and how i can improve it. I was going to follow this with a aluminum imac 24inch take apart,

Matt

Inside:mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I've produced a imac core duo take apart guide and wanted some feedback before putting it up globally. Just interested in people's thoughts really and how i can improve it. I was going to follow this with a aluminum imac 24inch take apart,Inside:mac

Firstly, all power to your efforts. This sort of online document is both necessary and valuable.

I'd love to place feedback, but there is no link to what you're doing UNLESS I sign up to membership. So maybe I don't want to do that. Can you not provide anonymous or guest admission to your site on which - I can only assume - you have the iMac instructions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another who will not wear MobileMe membership sorry Matt.

OP
S
Reaction score
Cheers

Apologies guys, do you need to be a member of Mobile me to leave comments/view the site? This is the first time i've bothered with iweb/mobileme hosting.

it was all put under the blog link at the top.

Let me have your comments on here, I'll probably move it all over to a forum/wordpress blog when i get chance anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Great guide, thanks. I'm saving it against that fateful day when I have to open up my iMac.

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far

Cheers for the feedback so far. I'm going to take all the comments on board and make some changes. I personally don't think opening an Imac is hard its more about technique.

Anyway i'd love more feedback-Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Lovely and may well persuade others to think about undertaking this task. There are a lot of posts in various forums about iMac PSU and replacements. Your next project maybe?

OP
S
Reaction score
Next guide

I think the next guide will be based on a similar procedure on a Aluminum 24-inch Imac.

I'm please that everyone likes it, i certainly enjoyed producing it.

Reaction score
dont want to rain on anyones parade or anything but dont apple already do take apart guides for their machines?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
dont want to rain on anyones parade or anything but dont apple already do take apart guides for their machines?

Apple provides very limited do it yourself guides. Most notably are the guides for installing memory and hard drives in certain models.

The guide provided by the OP is for an iMac which in my opinion requires even more skill and care to take apart than a notebook machine. He did a superb job on his guide.

You can find more guides here: iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I think the next guide ... I'm pleased that everyone likes it, i certainly enjoyed producing it.

And it's being put to use already. A couple of posts elsewhere in M-F report iMac problems various and I've referred them to your guide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
I appreciate your hard work in blazing the trail! I saved the entire page for reference on my other Macs, just in case I have to crack this one open. :) Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.