Beginners Camera

JRV

Reaction score
I'm interested in playing around with photography and I'd like some advice on a starter camera. Something not super complicated that I can use to take nature or model pictures with. Anyone recommend a good camera for beginners?

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
What kind of price range?
Canon 40d will do most every thing , but it will set you back $750-$900.
Then you will need a lens. The good lens's cost more than the body.
This is a great place to read reviews.
fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom

wow so you're talking about $1,500 for a good camera? I just wanted to pick this up as a side hobby so that is definitely way out of my price range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Hi JRV,

I don't know if you want an SLR, but here is one tip: Look at the Canon digital point and shoot range. I would recommend the A590 IS, it is only about $130 and can take excellent photos. I learned alot about photography from using the Powershot series.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
How much is your budget? A Nikon D40 can be had for around $450 and its a great camera for beginners and intermediates.

Reaction score
Canon Powershot point and shoot cameras are pretty good for beginners. I have an SD630 and it is very versatile and has a ton of options to play around with. Eventually I will step up to a DSLR but for now this camera works very well for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Photography can be expensive. You can get P&S cameras for $100, or you can get some new and a lot of used DSLR's for under $500. If you go the DSLR route, then you have to buy lenses. They can range anywhere from about $75 to $8000ish for most standard lenses. Keep in mind, you usually get what you pay for.

Then, just because you have a DSLR doesn't mean you're going to take good pictures. If you don't learn about photography and you don't ever stray out of auto mode, then it's probably a waste of money for you to look at anything besides a point and shoot.

But then again, depending on what you want to do, a P&S might not cut it. You have to decide.

Reaction score
If you feel you want a lot more creative control then an entry level DSLR is the way to go. Both Canon and Nikon have some good pricing on a entry level camera body and lens kit. Try both systems out and decide which menu system makes the most sense to you and go with that brand. You can add cheaper glass later and upgrade the body as time goes on.

As for a P&S I really recommend the Canon G9 or G10. Really easy to use, priced quite well and it has the option of RAW shooting for creative playing in Post. The lens on it is quite good and both models get consistently rave reviews. I carry a G9 as my walkabout "always with me" camera and it's never let me down.

There are other cheaper options. Wait till the sales after Xmas for deals. With the economy down the shops will be offering specials to get the inventory moving.

Good luck and ask more questions if you have a model in mind.

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
early 2008 Blackbook 2.4 ghz
i second the Nikon d40, best camera for the $$–hands down!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
i second the Nikon d40, best camera for the $$–hands down!

I got me one of those and I'm far from a beginner. I've been shooting SLR film and later Canon P&S digital (Powershot A75) since 1986!

Got a good deal on one with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-200mm, and have so far put about 6000+ shots through it. Also scored a Speedlight (external hot-shoe flash with tilting head to bounce light of the ceiling.) It's quite the rig for well under $1000 and has built-in help feature to tell you what it thinks you are doing wrong ;) (yes, I know the flash head isn't pointing forward Ms. Nikon, I want it that way.)

Get a tripod and go to your local library to check out books on photography. Your big threes are aperture, shutter speed, and focus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you don't want a point and shoot but don't want to spend the money on a dSLR, perhaps you might be interested in a superzoom (or as I like to call them, quasi-dSLR). The Canon Powershot S5 is a great model (I personally have the S3 and can vouch for how great it is) that is simple to use but also has many option available should you choose to use them. There are also some adapters you can purchase if you ever decide to get more serious about photography but not enough to the point where you want to make a heavy investment into a dSLR and the many accessories that go along with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.