can I set up a local wired network on top of a wireless one?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought an Intel iMac (refurbished 2.8 and loving it) for my home office to accompany my Win XP box. Both are set up to access the wireless router in my living room. I have an HP LaserJet 3055 printer directly connected to the XP box and am sharing it with the iMac but I'd like to be able to print with it even when the XP box is off so I'm thinking about setting up a wired network in my office.

Is it possible for both iMac and PC to have both a wireless connection to my linksys (192.168.1.1) and another router (say 192.168.2.1) via ethernet, and hang the printer off that router?

Would the default gateway still be 192.168.1.1 to access the internet?

Would I have to do anything special to make the computers find the printer on the second network?

If I get this working, attaching a NAS device should be a piece of cake right?

Thanks for your time,
Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
If I read this right, you want to connect to a wireless router on he iMac and PC, and plug a Ethernet cable into the iMac and PC at the same time?

If this is true, it would cause more problems then you would want.

If you want to hook up a wired network to a wireless network, you would just need to buy a switch, and plug it directly into the wireless router, and plug in any wired devices you want to use.

I'm more or less doing this same thing in my house, but I use a wired print server for my printer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.