• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to properly install an audio codec for iMac OS X?

Reaction score
Hello

I'm having trouble getting the sound for a downloaded movie (all other movies I've downloaded work perfectly with 4 installed audio players). All comments for this particular download indicate the sound and audio for this file are fantastic (so apparently I'm the only one with the problem).

From what I have read, it seems I may be missing an audio codec, but when I try to download any audio codec, the file appears in my downloads folder, I click on it, and then I get an error message that reads: "Quicktime cannot open because this is not a movie file."

I know that codecs are not "movie files," but what do I select to install the codec?

I am new to Mac, so I feel like I'm starting all over again (and have no idea how to "properly" install plugins, programs etc.....) :)

Thanks in advance for your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What is the codec and where did you get it? Are there not instructions on the site you found it on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Have you tried something like Perian or Flip4Mac?

That link lead me to another link that one of the commenters suggested going to get a version that worked with Intel Macs. In the Readme file I read, it says you have to "First you need DivX 6.0 to correctly load the AVI file into QuickTime". That update seems to be over three years old!

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I've downloaded Perian and Flip4Mac, but unfortunately neither have solved the sound issue with this particular file. Can't think of what else to try, the sound will not appear with any player (including recent downloads of VLC and DivX).

All other movie downloads work fine, so maybe I'm not missing any codecs. The thing that bugs me is that no one else has the no sound issue with this particular movie download.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.