Music from LaCie NAS not showing up in iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, OS X 10.5.2
Hello all,

I have a LaCie Network Space 1TB NAS that can act as a media server for upnp media players. (It is hooked up to my WGR614v6 router).

It shows up in iTunes under 'Shared' but when I actually click on it, iTunes will show me a progress bar as it tries to load the music, but after about 30 seconds iTunes will jump back up to my Music folder (i.e. Music that is on the MacBook).

I cannot seem to get the music that is on the NAS to load in iTunes.

I know it work because I tested it through the iPhone using PlugPlayer which was able to access the music on the NAS.

Really appreciate any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hello all,

I have a LaCie Network Space 1TB NAS that can act as a media server for upnp media players. (It is hooked up to my WGR614v6 router).

It shows up in iTunes under 'Shared' but when I actually click on it, iTunes will show me a progress bar as it tries to load the music, but after about 30 seconds iTunes will jump back up to my Music folder (i.e. Music that is on the MacBook).

I cannot seem to get the music that is on the NAS to load in iTunes.

I know it work because I tested it through the iPhone using PlugPlayer which was able to access the music on the NAS.

Really appreciate any help.
It sounds as though you're trying to access the media as an external shared iTunes library.

But if you want to really access the files as though they were part of your regular library, you would need to add the files to iTunes via the Finder. If you hold down the "option" key whilst dragging the folders to your library, iTunes will reference them, without copying them back to your internal harddrive (the "+" icon by your cursor should disappear when you drag the folders and hold down option).

OP
PartisanEntity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, OS X 10.5.2
Thanks for the tip, however if I drag the music folder from my NAS to iTunes the plus sign does not appear by default.

It only appears if I hold the option key. Does that mean iTunes knows the music is coming from the NAS and is already going to reference it only?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Then it sounds as though you've changed the default behaviour in the preferences.

Try it with one album first, and if that works, then yes - don't hold down option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.