will upgrading my hard drive always void my warranty?

Reaction score
I heard that upgrading to a bigger hard drive will void my warranty. That is really frustrating and dumb. Is there anyway to upgrade without voiding. For example, if I go to the apple store, can they install it for me without voiding my warranty?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Depends on the model you have.

If you have the newest 15" model, then it may be replaced quite easily and the directions are in the user manual (Chp.3) that came with your MBP.

It is not considered a user replaceable part and will void the warranty on every other MBP.

I have heard some say they will not do it at the store, but have never called and asked myself.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not unfair at all. The older design requires you to completely disassemble the machine. The New latest one has a panel on the bottom you remove. The new MBP is a totally different design then the older one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Aluminum Macbook, 2.0 Ghz, 2GB ram, 160GB hard drive.
Will it void the warranty on the new aluminum Macbooks?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Will it void the warranty on the new aluminum Macbooks?

No, nor on the previous models (white or black) since the HDD is easily accessible. It's only the older model MBP that must be disassembled to get at the HDD.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Aluminum Macbook, 2.0 Ghz, 2GB ram, 160GB hard drive.
No, nor on the previous models (white or black) since the HDD is easily accessible. It's only the older model MBP that must be disassembled to get at the HDD.

Regards.

Oh okay sweet. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Even if you replace the hard drive, I doubt they will void the warranty other than the hard drive. If you damage it, that would be another story.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.