frozen mouse and keyboard on windows xp sp3

Reaction score
I have a macbook with the 2.4 ghz process, only upgrade is 4 gb's of ram. Running os x 10.5.5 and using Bootcamp 2.1? running windows xp sp3.

Everything was working fine until one time i tried booting windows, log in screen comes up and I can't move my mouse or type. Only thing that works is power button. I am able to access my windows HD in finder and I can also use windows fine in VMWare Fusion. I have no idea what's going on. I ran a virus scan of all the files on my windows HD and found nothing, please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
Can you boot windows into safe mode? Will the mouse and keyboard work there?

If you plug in an external mouse and/or keyboard will they work? This is not really a lot of information to go on. Most of what I would suggest you try is likely over your skill level. No offense meant. So I would have to either suggest you take it to a repair shop.. a PC repair shop, show them how to boot it to windows and tell them to go nuts. As it is an error there.

Or

Put in your XP disc, press C to boot off it and do a repair install. That MAY fix your problem as well, or start over from scratch and format/reinstall.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a macbook with the 2.4 ghz process, only upgrade is 4 gb's of ram. Running os x 10.5.5 and using Bootcamp 2.1? running windows xp sp3.

Everything was working fine until one time i tried booting windows, log in screen comes up and I can't move my mouse or type. Only thing that works is power button. I am able to access my windows HD in finder and I can also use windows fine in VMWare Fusion. I have no idea what's going on. I ran a virus scan of all the files on my windows HD and found nothing, please help!

Why folks insist on running Windows in a VM from their Boot Camp partition and also boot to that partition to run Windows is beyond me. :( You more than likely caused corruption to your Boot Camp partition by accessing it from Fusion. (Happens to a lot of folks)

Try doing a repair on your Boot Camp partition using the original Windows install media. However, attempting a repair with the original media may fail unless you've slipstreamed SP3 to the install disk. Windows won't let you do a repair with a previous version.

You may wind up re-installing Windows XP. My advice is NOT to try to run it both ways. Either just use Fusion, or Boot Camp but not both.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.