iMac G4 Newbie needing help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 Power PC
I'm not a Mac user so please forgive me if I sound totally lost...b/c I am just that...lost!
Here's the deal...I got a message on the screen asking to upgrade to OSX 10.2 or later...If I hit quit through it I could use the iMac. I found the Cd for 10.2 so I put it in. It took 40 minutes. Then it said less than a minute left...then froze up. I couldn't even shut it down. So I held the off button down for five secs and tried again. Now it says "Installation in progress" then spins and freezes up. Can't do anything...not even take the Cd out! Can anyone help me? I don't have the manual for this iMac G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is the disc the original system restore disc for that iMac, or is it from another machine? Grey coloured discs are for a particular model only.

OP
BigMacAttack!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 Power PC
iMac G4 Help

Thanks for your reply...I want to pull my hair out right about now!
I got the Cd out of what looks like the original Cd Pkg that came with it. The Cd is "Mac OS X v10.2" white in colour, with a large leopard (edit: I guess it's a Jaguar - sorry I didn't notice the difference in animal print-sorry my mistake.) spotted X on it. Did it come with this one or should I be looking for a restore type of Cd?

I got this iMac G4 from my brother who's employee used this machine. He can't help me, either, so I'd really appreciate any help I can get!

Here's what I've tried...I held down the on/off for 5 secs...then started it up again. It says "installation in progress" or something like that, then it freezes and stays that way.
So I manually opened up the tray and took that Cd out. It then had a picture of a folder with a flashing question mark on the screen.
So now what do I do?
(I'm probably amusing at least a few of you out there...I feel so helpless...like I'm writing an exam in a foreign language that I barely speak about a topic I know very little about...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
See if you can get the CD back in, reboot and hold down the 'C' key as soon as the chimes sound. If she is a goer, move to Utilities in the menu bar, select Disk Utility and run Repair Disk.

OS X.2 is not Leopard but Jaguar. Leopard will only install on machines over the 867MHz processor limit.

OP
BigMacAttack!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 Power PC
iMac G4

Ok I'll try that later on tonight if I find time. Do I put the same Install Cd in that I tried before or do I try the grey Cds - the Restore ones?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What do the Gray restore CD's say on them? Does it say iMac or For iMac? If they are the Restore CD's for that machine I would say try one. Does it say what version of OSX on the Gray Restore CD?

Also what keyboard are you using? Did you get the Apple one that came with the iMac? If so, there is an Eject button to open the CD Tray.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.