Airport wireless intermittent and weak

Reaction score
Hello,

I have 4 PC's and one Mac in the house. I have a Belkin N wireless router about 60 feet away from where the MAC is located. Every computer in the house works fine. Even a wireless PC works fine when located in the same room as the MAC. The MAC experiences weak signals, from full bars to one dot every few minutes and requires multiple attempts to reconnect when signal is completely lost.

1) I took the mac to the Apple store. Could not duplicate the problem
2) Called Belkin and they had me download firmware for the Mac.
3) We changed the Channel from 6 to 11 and then to 1.
4) My network is secured with WEP key.
5) When I go online, I notice that there are 2 other networks in the area (possible interference?)

I am losing my mind, it seems that I have tried everything I could. Here are the following questions I have:

1) Belkin states that any other channel than 1,6 and 11 would generate a weaker signal is this true? the options range from 1 to 11.
2) Would I be better off buying an Apple wireless router and which one?
3) I am looking into getting an external drive to do backups with time machine would Time Capsule be the right router (kill 2 birds with one stone?)
4) Is it possible that the neighborhood wireless networks will consistently affect me no matter what type of router I get? If so....I would have to run a cat5 cable under the house in order to connect the MAC directly to the Belkin router (I do not like this idea...)
5) My last option is to take a sledge hammer and smash the Belkin or the MAC ...or both?

Thanks for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming the firmware Belkin had you download was to update their router. I'm not a lover of Belkin equipment but since that's what you have, you should be able to get it to work.

As for a channel selection other than 1,6 or 11, I don't think what Belkin told you is entirely true unless they're referring to their routers. Instead of changing channels, as a test turn off all WEP encryption and see if your signal improves. If it doesn't, try a channel other than 1, 6, or 11, again as a test.

I don't recommend buying a Time Capsule or an Apple router (Airport Extreme model) until you have solved the signal problem first. You can always perform backups to any external USB or Firewire HDD using Time Machine.

As a last resort you could try another router. Buy an inexpensive N router from a store that has a good return policy - in case. My preference for routers are the latest D-Link models which support OS X.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Turning WEP off

Thanks for the reply. When you say to turn off WEP encryption, you mean getting rid of the security correct?

If correct and removing security improves the situation, would I then work without security?

Thanks!

Nico

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the reply. When you say to turn off WEP encryption, you mean getting rid of the security correct?Nico

Yes. Temporarily broadcast the signal in the clear to see if it improves.

If correct and removing security improves the situation, would I then work without security?Nico

No. I do not recommend working without security. If turning off WEP (which by the way is really not very secure anyway) improves the signal, then it's time to review your airport settings and the router settings.

The best solution may be to buy another router. But as I suggested previously, make sure you can return it for a full refund.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.