black x battery

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a two year old black macbook. Four days ago some water was spilt into the keyboard area. I was unaware of it for a few hours. When I noticed the water I took the battery out and laid the battery and open computer in the hot balconey to dry them out. Next day the computer would not turn on unless I plugged it in. It is still the same. First couple days when booting up it would not make that "tadaa" kind of sound it usually makes when starting, now it does. Every day I take the battery out and try to let air flow through the computer. The battery display icon shows a black x in the battery. I have the Istat Pro widget and prior to the mishap the battery life was 73% with about 230 cycles. Now it reads Health-nan%, cycles-0, charge nan%. The little power bar in the Istat shows about 3/4 charged. If I disconnect the power supply it is good for 20 seconds and then shuts down completely. When I hookup the power again the little light on the magnetic plug is orange for a couple minutes then turns green. Occasionally when I reinstall the battery the battery icon shows 0% then after 30 secs turns to the black x.
Help!
I apologize if this has been covered already, I am touring SE Asia and have very limited internet access.
I will be in a major centre in a few days. Will replacing the battery cure all the problems? Is it the battery or the process of charging that is at fault? Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give me.
Below is the reading from "about this Mac"

Battery Information:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 0
Battery Installed: No
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 0

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 97
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
Charging: No

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Replacing the battery may fix the problem, however it may not. If water damaged something inside the MacBook, it may not be able to properly charge the battery any more.

Best suggestion is (if possible) to try your battery in another MacBook to see if it works there, or another battery in yours. If another battery exhibits the same symptoms in your laptop, then it's probably damage to the main board.

Reaction score
Macbook Battery Problem

Could be you have THE macbook battery problem, or at least could make a case that you do and get a replacement battery out of Apple for free. Especially with less than 300 cycles on your battery. I'd suggest having a look at MacBook | Macbook Pro Battery Problem and running through the diagnostics/fixes listed.
Best,
ww

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.