Pulled the trigger on a refurbished MB Air

Reaction score
I bought a new (refurbished) MBA from the apple,com website yesterday. I always bring my work computer on trips and I am tired of lugging my MBP too. I got the MACBOOK AIR 13/1.8/2GB/80GB and cannot WAIT to get it tomorrow.

The main reason was the size and weight. I know that the 80GB HD is not massive, but that is what 250GB pocket drives are for. LOL

Anyone else "downsize" from a MBP to a MBA? Just wanted to see if anyone did this and if so what was their experience.

Finally, I probably will sell my MBP. Did anyone have great success on CL?

Thanks!

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Actually, I'm thinking of snagging the same refurb MBA that you have, possibly a 1.6Ghz with the 64GB SSD if they every turn up. I began traveling for work and have to tote a heavy Dell laptop around. Adding my sweet MBP to the backpack makes it all the heavier. Currently I'm using a Dell Mini 9 with OS X 10.5.5 installed on it and a 16GB SSD, which is quite nice for the hobbyist. Unfortunately, it's still a work in progress and I'd like something with a bit more horsepower for boxee, Hulu, etc... Please, if you don't mind, post again with your impressions of your refurb MBA. I hear they overheat and run slow which is the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger.

OP
T
Reaction score
Had MBA for a few days

Ok, It is SOOOOO light and thin, it is freakin' amazing. Definitely why I got it. Cool factor of 10 also.

I do not find it to be slow. I have the 1.8 and it is really fast. I am only doing youtube, Mozilla, email, etc. Very fast. My router at home is pretty old, so I am sure it can go faster one I buy a TimeMachine. I have no complaints on the speed aspect of it at all.

I will upgrade the HD to something bigger in the future. 80GB is pretty small. I have taken a lot of stuff off and moved it to a 400GB external small drive. But I am used to my 250GB HD on my MBP that was massive. Not a huge deal again once I get the TimeMachine so I can have everything in that 500GB drive and access it wirelessly.

I just went to work on the road today and slipped my nice, new, thin, light MBA into my briefcase. My bag was a lot lighter than it ever was. I would not have brought my MBP with me either cause of the weight. I did leave it on by accident and it was sitting in my briefcase and it did get hot. That was my fault as I thought I had turned it off but I did not. It does not get as hot as my MBP. My MBP was hot as **** and I needed a stand under it to put it on my lap. No kidding.

All in all, I am happy I did it. Other than a bigger HD, I have no reason to regret my purchase and "downsizing" of my current MBP to a MBA.

Not every computer is for everyone, but this is the one for me!

Regards,

Trapzilla2002

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I ordered a MBA today finally. Looking forward to the MBA experience. Thanks for the update!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.