EyeTV + Digital Cable Box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8
Anyone running a digital cable box to their eyetv software? I can run a coax cable from the wall to my eyetv box and get like the normal 70 channels or so, but i have digital cable on demand with a couple hundred channels and would like to utulize it on my comp. When i run a cable from my digital box (Comcast) to my eyetv box it doesn't pick anything up :/

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To make it a little easier to understand..

EyeTVcomast.png

Situation one produces regular over the air cable channels with none of the premium channels i pay, for nor on demand. Situation two gives me nothing...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You will need to utilize a standard RCA cable (composite - white, red, yellow) or S-Video from the cable box to the EyeTV.

The coax out on almost all cable boxes are designed for one thing - If you also have an over-the-air antenna hooked up to the cable box - that coax will pass through the o-t-a signals only to your VCR / TV.

Can tell you more with the specific model of your box.

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
elgato eyetv 250

Comcast Box: Model- DCT700/US

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just hooked up the comcast box to my eyetv receiver using an a/v cable and still nothing. trying to play with the eyetv software settings to see if i can make it work...

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
31gwHMBX00L.jpg

on the front of the box i have a wire of some sort plugged in that splits to a red/white/yellow. On the back is a coax in, power cord port, and mini usb out that runs to the comp.

DCT700DigitalCableBox2.jpg

On the back of this comcast box is a coax in, coax out, and an a/v out (red/white/yellow).

I currently have an A/V cable running from the comcast box to my eyetv receiver but I'm not getting anything..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Coax should work with that box.

Have you got the EyeTV set to channel 3.

The video cable is a composite cable. Yellow - video, White - left audio, Red- right audio.

The coax should give a little better pic than the composite cable (typically), but you'll need the composite connection to get the audio in stereo from that box.

Haven't had the EyeTV software installed on my system in a year or so. ElGato has a fairly decent forum.

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't had the EyeTV software installed on my system in a year or so. ElGato has a fairly decent forum.

Thanks i'll check it out, and post up if i get everything to work.

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
question. i tried deleting all of my eyetv files, in order to install a newer version, and i can't delete 'eyetv helper' from my trash because it says it's in use. command+option+esc doesn't show it running, and i tried "kill eyetv helper" in terminal and it doesn't work. i don't really know how to use terminal for the most part lol, but how do i stop this program/process so i can delete it?

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I GOT IT WORKKKINGGG!!!!!1111 :D

thanks again for the help, still playing with quality/picture settings

and for anyone interested, the lag on changing channels/bringing up the comcast info menus is CRAZY LONG but whatevs, now i don't need to buy a tv for a while.

i have it wired with a coax, ya think if i used the a/v cable inputs for my xbox 360 it would lag too much to play? i'm thinking yes, but there has to be a way to make it work correctly, post up if ya know how, and i'll post up if i ever figure it the **** out

EDIT: i can't believe they block out the word h3ll on this forum lol

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, what setting did it for the next person giving it a try.
Sorry, I wasn't much help. Guess I should reinstall mine again for troubleshooting.

Never tried my 360 or PS3 through a capture card. Have read mixed opinions about it.

(think they allow the under 13 crowd to register, which means another U.S. law comes into play)

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just used coax from the source to the comcast box and back to the eyetv receiver. had to uninstall my old eyetv software and download the updated software from their website. be careful though, i needed my original key to intstall the update, so i wouldn't suggest uninstalling old software with no key.

also, you have to make sure you have the eyetv preferences set for use with a cable box and have the eyetv controller set to channel 3 or 4. kinda obvious, but just thought i'd say it for anyone else trying to get theirs to work..

Reaction score
how did you wire things up? Did you go with the "ill numero due"? If so, are you still able to view the on demand items and record them too?

Reaction score
just used coax from the source to the comcast box and back to the eyetv receiver. had to uninstall my old eyetv software and download the updated software from their website. be careful though, i needed my original key to intstall the update, so i wouldn't suggest uninstalling old software with no key.

also, you have to make sure you have the eyetv preferences set for use with a cable box and have the eyetv controller set to channel 3 or 4. kinda obvious, but just thought i'd say it for anyone else trying to get theirs to work..

I am trying to set up EyeTV250 plus from Comcast cable box to the EyeTV but am not able to get the channels when I do the auto tune using the assistant. How do I set the channel to 3 or 4 as you are suggesting?

Reaction score
Ref: Eye TV Hybrid

I want to get this for a Xmas gift for wife. The ultimate goal is to run the iPad app so she can stream TV shows to her iPad anywhere in the house.
So, I need to get the Hybrid device running on the iMac first.

I've gone over the set up on Elgato's site but still have some hardware connection questions;

We are a Cox Subscriber with the HD Package and use a Scientific Atlanta Cable box and connect to the LCDTV via HDMI cable.

There is a co-ax out cable from this box. Can I connect the Hybrid here and not interfere with the out signal to the HDMI?

Or would the Component cables be more correct?.

Does anyone know if the iPad app will allow channel changing in this confuguration?
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.