I broke something

Reaction score
I recently popped open my macbook pro 2.33 and attempted to replace a very loud right-side fan array. All went smoothly until I gently removed the power connector foot from the logic-board, along with the wires attached to the fan.
It looks as if the soldering or glue or whatever gave way and is now destroyed. Can this be replaced somehow? or should i continue to run with out the fan? So far it has been fine, and not overheating, in fact the other side barely runs faster then 1900 rpm. Any ideas? I really dont want to take this in anywhere :(

thx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really need to get that fan running. Over time the heat build up may do damage costing you more in the long run. The connector you tried removing "gently" from the logic board can probably be repaired with the proper tools.

Normally wires that go into that type of connector have small metallic clip ends which slide into the openings and lock in place. It's possible when you pulled on the connector the wires came loose from the metal clips. More than likely the clips are still in the connector. The best way to remove those types of connectors is by gently prying them upward away from the board with a small flat plastic tool.

Anyway, consider repairing it. You may be able to do it yourself or find someone who is proficient at doing that type of work.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
If you could take a clear picture of the damage, I could answer it for you pretty quickly.

OP
C
Reaction score
well the little black clip or shoe is snapped in 2 and the little teeth are long gone, I basically need another lil clip, but i have no idea what was holding it in place. It wasnt soldered, because it was plastic, do they use glue? I dont know if the clip was defective, I twisted it, or it had degraded over time.

thanks for the replies

OP
C
Reaction score
little power connector shoe?

Anyone know where I can find the small little part described above?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.