Battery Went From 98% to 18% overnight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
If you shut it down and it came back next day at 18, you need a new battery

Reaction score
How quickly are you talking? Surely this isn't the new aluminum MBP? I would assume there would be a trick to refresh it. Shut down, take the battery out and let sit for 48hrs, put battery back in and bring up to full charge. I have heard this somewhere but I am unsure if it was the solution to your particular problem.

If all else fails, CLICK HERE for a link to new batteries from Apple. Otherwise eBay might have some for slightly cheaper.

HTH

OP
P
Reaction score
Well here is something interesting to add to this, I got to looking at the battery and it appears the outer casing, right next to the button is coming off, you see it when you remove the battery and you can see it when you install the battery and look at the bottom of the notebook. Maybe it got too hot? It's a Macbook pro 17" it's about 9 months old, not sure if apple would warranty it or not, worth a call i guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
I replaced a MBP battery that slid down to 33% just after a year of owenership. Apple replaced it on the warranty. You might want to contact them to see if they will do the same. Also, have you "conditioned" the battery according to their procedure?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
did you have an external hd hooked up to it when it was sleeping, and was it off the power lead?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.