Mac Newbie: Need help activating my windows xp on new Macbook

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just purchased the new 13" macbook, and used bootcamp to install Windows Xp. Thing is, my Windows XP is the copy from Dell that I got; I figured it would work since it is a full version of Windows XP.

I used bootcamp, and now that windows xp is installed, I've got 30 days to activate it; is there any way around this? I really don't want to have to spend another $120 just so I can use Windows ocassionally.

I've been seeing alot about vmware and parallel; are those solutions?

HELP!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
Just all the 1800 number in the activation wizard. When they ask if this is the first time installing say no, it is a reinstall. When they ask how many machines it is one say one. They will then activate it for you no problems.

I do this at least 15 times a week.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi guys,

I just purchased the new 13" macbook, and used bootcamp to install Windows Xp. Thing is, my Windows XP is the copy from Dell that I got; I figured it would work since it is a full version of Windows XP.

I used bootcamp, and now that windows xp is installed, I've got 30 days to activate it; is there any way around this? I really don't want to have to spend another $120 just so I can use Windows ocassionally.

I've been seeing alot about vmware and parallel; are those solutions?

HELP!!

You can't use an vendor-supplied OEM copy of Windows for Boot Camp, the licensing doesn't apply. That copy was sold specifically to be used on your Dell and would negate its license.

You can pick up an "OEM for System Builders" version of XP Pro for about $99. I would do that and this way you won't have to worry about getting your Product ID flagged for piracy.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just all the 1800 number in the activation wizard. When they ask if this is the first time installing say no, it is a reinstall. When they ask how many machines it is one say one. They will then activate it for you no problems.

I do this at least 15 times a week.

That would actually be a form of fraud. Do note that we don't permit discussion of illegal activity here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, according to the XP guys in my town... One of the activation centers and XP support centers are here.... Technically, you are allowed to use an OEM copy on another machine. So long as the original machine is defunct. It can only be on one machine at a time. There used to be a rule that OEM copies were limited to a single install and only on original hardware. But a lawsuit ended that a few years back. And now the XP is the Old OS, all OEM restrictions have been lifted.

Again, they key is that the old hardware no longer exists. From MS, to me, to you. I can assure you I NEVER commit fraud at my shop. We will not even reinstall a pirated copy of an OS that the customer supplies. We make them buy a recycled license at the LEAST. Again, completely legal.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, according to the XP guys in my town... One of the activation centers and XP support centers are here.... Technically, you are allowed to use an OEM copy on another machine. So long as the original machine is defunct. It can only be on one machine at a time. There used to be a rule that OEM copies were limited to a single install and only on original hardware. But a lawsuit ended that a few years back. And now the XP is the Old OS, all OEM restrictions have been lifted.

Again, they key is that the old hardware no longer exists. From MS, to me, to you. I can assure you I NEVER commit fraud at my shop. We will not even reinstall a pirated copy of an OS that the customer supplies. We make them buy a recycled license at the LEAST. Again, completely legal.

I have to respectfully disagree. As an MCSE and a volume licensing customer that is well-versed in MS licensing, I can tell you unequivocally that a PC vendor-supplied OEM license is non-transferable. It is specifically linked to the hardware you bought it with, which is why the Product ID label is affixed to the case.

References:

Get a Clue: Microsoft Licensing
Windows OEM License bound to its Computer
Microsoft SMB Community Blog : Can we re-install an OEM Windows Desktop Operating System license on a PC when we refurbish it?
Microsoft: The Windows OEM License Dies with Its Computer - Even for refurbished PCs - Softpedia

More specific to running in a VM (of course this isn't the case with Boot Camp, but it still extends to running it on non-original hardware):
VMware Communities: Windows XP OEM licence running under a ...

If you need more, just Google "Windows OEM license bound to original PC".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
As an MCSE and a volume licensing customer that is well-versed in MS licensing, I can tell you unequivocally that a PC vendor-supplied OEM license is non-transferable. It is specifically linked to the hardware you bought it with, which is why the Product ID label is affixed to the case.

As an MCSE, MCITP and MS Partner, I agree that the OEM license is for a machine only, and cannot be transferred to another machine. I am not even sure if you can legitimately buy the OEM for your Mac, as this you are not the manufacturer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and one more distinction - an OEM license for "system builders" is different. That may be transferred (i.e. between different motherboards), since the intent is that it's being sold to an individual to install on a new self-built system. What I'm referring to previously is the OEM versions that come with a large PC vendor's machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have read and am familiar with much of that. However, the activation agents themselves are the ones saying otherwise.

But I apologize and withdraw my suggestion.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the suggestion. I managed, however, to install Parallels 3.0 based on a suggestion from a friend. It's working great, but I can't seem to play 3-D games like Red Alert 3, I thought they said parallels supports 3D gaming? Is it something to do with my settings?

Second question; does that mean with bootcamp, my 3D settings would be higher, as it is fully dedicated to windows at that time?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.