custom OS install

N

nicktimesthree

hi everyone
this weekend i purchased my first mac, a 14" 1.33 ghz ibook. i come mostly from the windows world, but have much linux history in my past. so far, i'm in love with my new ibook. besides adapting to OS X, everything has been great.

i was wondering about a few things for starters. out of the box, my 60gb drive had about 47bg free. i wanted to cut down on the OSX install, removing games (nanosaur?) and other things such as the 2+ gigs of printer drivers. how does one go about uninstalling software packages? i've been considering an OS reinstall, to get familiar with what options i'm given and truly customize my mac. would this be recommended? how is the install process? (my mac illiteracy will show here) is there a format process involved with the reinstall of the OS? (i dont have much data on my ibook at this point, mostly just mp3s)

are the development tools available in the custom install? terminal shell?

the one thing thats been driving me nuts (and this is more application specific) is that the user icon from your account carries over to your aim image in adium. any way to not have an aim icon w/ adium?

thanks for all of the help... cant wait to get home and install and start experimenting with quicksilver.

OP
D

Desolate One

Uninstalling programs is as easy as dragging the app to the trash. You may have residual files left behind, but you can do a search for those files from the app w/ finder then do the same w/ them.

As far as a fresh isntall, I haven't had the need to do so so unfortunately I wont be much help there.

Good luck and welcome aboard! ;)

OP

01AWW18T

Hi, I'm on the same boat, I recently bought a 1.42ghz Mac mini with the 80 gig harddrive. However, I will probably not be happy with the 4200rpm drive and will most likely sell that one and get a 80 gig 5400rpm 16mb cache one by Toshiba. Anyone have good instructions as to loading up OSX onto the new harddrive?. I've read about putting the drive in an enclosure and do it through firewire., or to install it in another mac to restore the OS onto the new disk. But I don't want to go buy a firewire enclosure just for this, nor do I have another mac (this is my first mac). Anyone know if its as easy as installing the new harddrive and popping in the OSX disc?

Thanks

OP
J

Jdurr

The OS X install is harmless. Put the disk in, reboot, hold the "C" key during boot and follow the wizard. I was disappointed with the lack of options you got during the install (at least with 10.0 and 10.2, maybe this changed for 10.3)

OP
N

nicktimesthree

Jdurr said:
The OS X install is harmless. Put the disk in, reboot, hold the "C" key during boot and follow the wizard. I was disappointed with the lack of options you got during the install (at least with 10.0 and 10.2, maybe this changed for 10.3)

There's no reformat of the drive?
Is the entire OS reinstalled or are only the affected packages installed/removed?

OP
J

Jdurr

nicktimesthree said:
There's no reformat of the drive?
Is the entire OS reinstalled or are only the affected packages installed/removed?

I havn't seen a package selection menu as you would see in most linux installs. It does refortat the drive, and in fact you can choose from a few different file systems. The package selection seemed absent though.

I havn't really played around with removing packages under OS X but im sure there is some kind of package manager similar to YaST or Yum or Apt-Get. In fact, speaking of apt-get, the graphical menu in fink might allow you to remove packages. Just a thought.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.