MS-DOS Executable Help

Reaction score
Hello All. This is my first post and I hope I am in the right place. If not, please redirect me to the proper forum.

I am trying to download the data sets from the CDC website for the 2002 NHIS. This is where to find the data. LINK

What happens when I click on the ALTHEALTH.EXE link is that a messge appears saying:

You have chosen to open
Althealth.exe, which is a MS-DOS Executable from ftp://ftp.cdc.gov
Would you like to save this file?

I click "OK", whereupon IPhoto opens and the file is "unreadable".

Please help! What do I do? I really need this info. I have a very low Mac-IQ although I have had the IMac for a couple of years. I am glad to be on the forum now and learn more about this doohickey!

Thanks much.

Larry

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Those files are listed for FTP. Go back to the site and highlight the file "althealt.exe" and drag it to your desktop. Once on your desktop, check to see if the file downloaded OK when you dragged it. Right click on the file and select "Get Info". It should tell you that the file is a Windows executable and it's 1,059,373 in size.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
You can only open those files in Windows. You could copy the file to a usb drive and take to a friend or library and "explode" the exe file to the drive.

The exe file is a zipped file that is what is called "self extracting" Somebody at the cdc was not thinking about Unix and Linux people like us. Mac is Unix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.