Adobe After Effects CS3 Serial Number Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17"
Hi all. I am new to the Mac environment and am having an issue with After Effects. I had a friend install the full Adobe Package (along with various other programs) and when I got it back from him, it didn't contain After Effects. I downloaded the Trial Version and used a Serial number that I had and everything checked out. I went to the activation screen and I think I mistyped my activation code because it immediately said that my license was expired. Now I have tried to uninstall and reinstall a number of times but never had had to re-register.

I have tried to deactivate the software but it gives me an error and says it was unsuccessful. I assume this is because it never activated properly. My question is where is the serial number located in the library? I want to delete this file and start over. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Might need to call Adobe on this one.

Generally, non-volume license serial codes will only activate a MAX of 2 times, once that has been reached, a call to Adobe is required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Adobe uses a very sophisticated activation scheme. Also, once the trial is gone, you will never install it again, unless you cloned the system first. If your "friend" is installing multiple copies of a $1500 product, shame on him. Adobe will wipe all serial numbers and kill the activations.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17"
Serial # issue

So you're saying that there is no way to delete the file that stores the serial number?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
No, it's normally not 1 single file, it's a series of files in various locations. Most of the time unknown to anyone but Adobe.

Your best bet is to call Adobe and explain the situation, provided you are using a 'legit' version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
They also are based on calculations of the disk. Very good security to protect very good software from very bad people (thieves)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And tell your friend as he is likely to find his copy unworkable also as Adobe may well deactivate his registered copy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.