VMWare vs. Parallels

Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to know the difference between VMWare and Parallels. Is there any major competitive differences? Does one run better with lower ram (I have a Core Duo Macbook Pro 2gb ram)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I have VMWare and love it. It supports dual processors and USB very well. You can try it for free. I would give 1GB ram to either.

VMware has been in the VM business the longest. Parallels is also a fine product. You will be happy with either.

Why not try both? They can both run together, and then when you buy, you just activate the one you will use.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, both Fusion and Parallels can use your Boot Camp partition as a VM. However, you need to be aware that Windows will nag you to activate again if you run your Boot Camp installation of Windows in a VM. In my opinion, it's best to either run Windows natively using Boot Camp, or separately using the VM method, but not both ways.

Regards.

OP
Q
Reaction score
well i play baldur's gate but also like to use Visual Studio... which i use through VMWare so i can also do other thigns... so i prefer both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I used to use Parallels, but decided to give Fusion a try once it hit version 2.0 and turns out the latter is noticeably faster. I would definitely recommend VMware Fusion over Parallels now.

OP
Q
Reaction score
ok, i also could try virtualbox what do you guys think of it? Also, does paralels or vmware (or virtualbox) support any gaming? specifically Baldur's gate 1 and 2/Icewind dale 1 and 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I had v1 of VMWare Fusion. Installation was so easy I thought I had done something wrong. I hadn't and it ran XP and all my legacy windows software like a dream. I initially had problems getting XP to recognise my printers but with version 2 all that has been sorted and I'm printing quite happily. XP under fusion2 now also gives direct access to my OS folders without tinkering(My documents, My Pictures are mirrored in Fusion) which is an added bonus. I can recommend Fusion - especially as you can trial it for a month for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
I currently run Fusion of all of my work tools that aren't mac native and I have to say it is my favourite program on the mac for the ease of use and features. The one that clinched it for me was unity, which allows you to place the running program, say baulders gate, onto the dock. Later on you can just click on this, it will unsuspend the VM, open baulders gate and close down the rest of the VM leaving only Baulders Gate running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.